diana walsted method?

fish guy

Hi everyone in the coming month or so i intend on setting up a medium tech planted aquarium. The main reason ive created this post is i want your feedback on the use of daltons organic potting mix as the main substrate capped with daltons aquatic mix capped with sand. Only im unsure wether it is safe as it has trichobuild whatever that is? The reason i originaly felt this product would be suitable as it contains all the trace elements my plants require and also contains a all natural slow release fert inside zeoloite. Anyway look forward to your opinions/ suggestions

Dom

Yea thanks Mark thats where i got my info from but what i wanted to know is if anyone has had any experience with it?

I'd tend to stay away from potting mix and just go with straight aquatic mix. I believe most people have had good results without any other information I'd stay with what's proven to be safe.

Hi alexyay both pea sized gravel and sand both work only the sand should be quite course to prevent a build up of gas.the reason i wanted to try the organic potting mix for a couple of reasons. One is i wanted to closely mimic diana walsteds method and two i wanted to know wether i could improve on a already succesful technique. :wink:

I have used Dalton's aquatic mix in a couple of planted tanks now with fine gravel and have had great success with plants.

I think one thing with using sand with Dalton's that hobbyists have found is that if you have digging fish they stir up the mix and make a mess.

Dalton's also lasts at least 2 years possibly 3.

• 3 weeks later...