A. Heckelii dying - bacteria or parasite?

redracer77

I got 5 acaricthys heckelii a month ago and have lost 2 since. Both have developed the same symptoms, heavy breathing then gasping, loss of appetite, slight colour loss but slightly redder around around the head, then die a few days later.

Water quality is fine, no ammonia, no nitrite, low nitrate. I water change weekly and have increased this in the last few weeks. Tank is 300L with cf1200 and fluval 405 filtration. I tried adding Epsom salt thinking it was a kind of bloat. The sick fish don't appear to bloat but a slight bit of swelling near the vent.

I want to make sure I don't loose any more or any other fish.

Does it sound like a bacterial issue or parasite?

I want to treat the whole aquarium rather than separating them to ensure I get rid of the cause.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think Hovmoller had these, might be worth sending him a pm and seeing if he had any issues.

I would like to one day but so far have not kept these. :D

To me it sounds a bit like a bacterial blood infection. Are fins red at the base? Would you say that much poo gathers on the bottom that they could be accidentally eating when sifting through the substrate? What is the substrate?

I didn't notice red anywhere on the fins, I am leaning toward bacteria as it has only affected this species so far.

Substrate is fine round gravel, almost coarse sand. I haven't seen them sifting or hanging out near the bottom much yet. i assume they will do more sifting as they get bigger as my jurupari did.

I have increased number of water changes and am monitoring them closely.

Should I dose with antibiotics to be sure it doesn't spread?

I have never come across gill worms, only gill flukes (though may have got lost in translation).
Sorry, maybe I am using the wrong word here, cause I am Dutch. Kieuw(=Gill)wormen(worms) in Dutch.

In google both words are used to my bleieve though. Think Levamisole should have killed that ones (no matter how they are called hahahaha)

• 2 weeks later...

update:

Another heckelii started breathing heavy so I decided to treat with furan 2, I have done a 4 dose course of this with the recommended water changes.

I lost the heckelii, 1 zebra loach and my leopard ctenopoma is now not going to make it through the day.

I have also treated with levamisole a couple of weeks ago.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to loose any more fish.

How does their feces look like? If it is white-ish then it is most likely a nematode (roundworm) infestation (which comes in hand with protozoan most of the time) which would blend in with the other symptoms you posted. BUT levamisole should have nuked the roundworm! Old stock / dose rate correct / vac paralysed worms after treatment from sand?

If you wanna go for Prazi:

Droncit (NOT Drontal!) from the Vet if you are in a hurry. Tablet with 50mg costs $1.20 and will treat 25ltr water. Clean filter, clean sand and do 50% water change. Then crush tablet(s) and dose for 8 to 12h; vac sand again to get rid of any paralysed worms; 80% water change. Repeat after 6 days - same rules for levamisole.

But before going Prazi I would try malachite green for the protozoan first - see reason above.

Good luck,

JaSa

How does their feces look like? If it is white-ish then it is most likely a nematode (roundworm) infestation (which comes in hand with protozoan most of the time) which would blend in with the other symptoms you posted. BUT levamisole should have nuked the roundworm! Old stock / dose rate correct / vac paralysed worms after treatment from sand?

If you wanna go for Prazi:

Droncit (NOT Drontal!) from the Vet if you are in a hurry. Tablet with 50mg costs $1.20 and will treat 25ltr water. Clean filter, clean sand and do 50% water change. Then crush tablet(s) and dose for 8 to 12h; vac sand again to get rid of any paralysed worms; 80% water change. Repeat after 6 days - same rules for levamisole.

But before going Prazi I would try malachite green for the protozoan first - see reason above.

Good luck,

JaSa

Thanks for the post. Levamisole is a new bottle, correct dose and vac after. I will try malachite green, I have some droncit tabs now as well. Hopefully something will put a stop to what is killing them.