Question about failing the WOF

aotealotl

am I alowed to drive around in this 28 days, say like to drive to Dunedin or CHCH to get parts from SuperCheap or Repco ?

No, not unless it hasn't expired. Hence why if you're smart you go for your warrant BEFORE it expires. :)

I don't remember ever getting mine done before it expires. :slfg:

nah but if you get pulled over and show them the slip and tell them you are going to get it repaired they will probably let you off. unless it's one of those power trip cops, in which case, you will get a $200 fine and sent on your way - but if you then get your wof sorted within 28 days of the fine being issued you can write to the cops with proof of your new wof and have the fine withdrawn.

Just as add on - if your warrant has expired or you have failed it, you don't have insurance cover.

This is not true, the insurance company would have to prove that the item that failed the WOF contributed to the crash - ie if you failed for having bad brakes and a crash was caused where you failed to stop in time it would be contributing. But if you failed for a bit of rust in your windscreen and it didn't contribute to the crash you would be covered. Insurance companies have to prove you are not covered as per the terms and conditions on your policy and I don't believe having a current WOF/REGO is a condition.

Also they no longer wipe the fine if you get your wof within the 28 days.

from experience I can say that depends in which part of our wonderful country you live and you get caught. eight months ago I got caught without a warrant, 1 month overdue and I got 28 days to get the WOF done so I wouldn't have to pay the ticket.

This is not true, the insurance company would have to prove that the item that failed the WOF contributed to the crash - ie if you failed for having bad brakes and a crash was caused where you failed to stop in time it would be contributing. But if you failed for a bit of rust in your windscreen and it didn't contribute to the crash you would be covered. Insurance companies have to prove you are not covered as per the terms and conditions on your policy and I don't believe having a current WOF/REGO is a condition.

I think you will find that the insurance company doesn't have to prove anything, the onus would be on you to prove that it did not.

I think driving to get a vehicle repaired is one thing, driving to get cheap parts and driving home again to fix it is another.

Just as add on - if your warrant has expired or you have failed it, you don't have insurance cover.

totally incorrect. My SS failed a warrant, only on the fact I needed to certify my vehicle for brake mods and i asked the question of my insurance company and they said it was covered. if the wof failure item directly contributes to a claim it can be rejected but if not then it is still covered.

I think you will find that the insurance company doesn't have to prove anything, the onus would be on you to prove that it did not.

I think driving to get a vehicle repaired is one thing, driving to get cheap parts and driving home again to fix it is another.

The onus is most definitely on the insurance company to prove it, they cannot just go around declining claims without proving things, tons of claims go to the small claims courts and insurance companies have to cross their ts and dot their Is. My partner has been in insurance for many years and her and I have argued these (and many other common insurance misconceptions) plenty of times, she says it is included in here: http://www.nzlii.org/nz/other/nzlc/repo ... R46-3.html I haven't read it though.

I think the police could definitely do you for "driving an un-roadworthy vehicle" because it had failed a WOF and been determined as being un-roadworthy and you were still driving it regardless of if you were getting parts or not. I think in this case it would depend on the police officer that pulled you over and what sort of mood they were in.

not that you all get the impression I am driving around with a totally worn out and run down truck to get the parts, all I need to do is to replace one upper ball joint and the sway bar rubber thingies. nothing really major or a road safety hazard. I wouldn't drive around if there would be a real problem with my truck, first of all just for my own safety.

other thought, imagine the speedometer and clock is not working on a diesel truck and someone would drive to CHCH from down here to get the parts. with a TomTom on board not a problem, you would know how fast you are driving, even more precise than the speedometer itself. so no real danger for anyone on the road except Key's pockets, right ? that would probably be an even bigger problem.

Imagine if someone disconnected their speedo to avoid paying road user charges (as well as keeping the kms on their vehicle down for resale) and when they were pulled over claimed they were on the way to get the parts to fix it. How would the authorities know any different.

Imagine if someone disconnected their speedo to avoid paying road user charges (as well as keeping the kms on their vehicle down for resale) and when they were pulled over claimed they were on the way to get the parts to fix it. How would the authorities know any different.

lol alot off people do that just have a switch under the dash. :sml1: