Cichlid ID Please

flymike

The top yellow one is electric yellow, the bottom one I was thinking female red top but looks like its got quite a greeny colouring??? Or is that just the photo?? My female red tops are brown with slight green tinge but they can change to a lightesh blue depending on mood

The top yellow one is electric yellow, the bottom one I was thinking female red top but looks like its got quite a greeny colouring??? Or is that just the photo?? My female red tops are brown with slight green tinge but they can change to a lightesh blue depending on mood

Yeah, They have a gold/greenish sheen to them (kind of like a giraffe cichlid) with purple around the head and lower fins, and are females, I have 4, although one is alot darker in color than the others.

When I got them was told they were possibly red top hongi, But I don't think so!!

Was thinking the same thing with the blue zebra cross though

Thanks

Mike

I would go with hybrid, flavus aren't in the country (at least in any pure form I am aware of but who knows what people have). Plus 99% of the zebras in the country are hybrids so the odds of a pure flavus just randomly showing up are slim to none.

Thanks ryanjury,

Thats about how I feel about it all as well, defiantly a hybrid of some sort.

Not sure what Im going to do with them yet, probably just end up on trade me for a buck each.

Thanks

Mike

Hard to tell what mix is this hybrid.

But I have to say it is not one of those nice looking hybrid.

Thanks jckingjc,

My bad pics don't do there color any justice, they shimmer with gold and purple under the right light.

BUT! and that's a big but, when in the majority of my tank they just blend in to the background with a brownish green tinge.

Not very exciting

Thanks

Mike

I am not a fan of hybrids at all. And I thought if you are looking at selling it off on trademe for a dollar then somebody else will potential get this fish and breed it with some other hybrid and then another hybrid fish pops up under the name of "techno shimmer colour barker African Cichlid"

My comment was under no cirrcumstances a dig on your fish, just my desire to not see more hybrid Africans about, and that culling them off in that fashion is the most humain way of doing so.

I apoligise if I have caused you distress, my comment was not meant to insight that. I was just expressing my personal opinion on hybrid cichlids.

I am not a fan of hybrids at all. And I thought if you are looking at selling it off on trademe for a dollar then somebody else will potential get this fish and breed it with some other hybrid and then another hybrid fish pops up under the name of "techno shimmer colour barker African Cichlid"

My comment was under no cirrcumstances a dig on your fish, just my desire to not see more hybrid Africans about, and that culling them off in that fashion is the most humain way of doing so.

I apoligise if I have caused you distress, my comment was not meant to insight that. I was just expressing my personal opinion on hybrid cichlids.

I do understand what your saying mate, I've killed 2 fish I didn't want to continue with earlier on, that is the reason why I'm considering selling, as I didn't feel all that good about it really, at least then its not a complete loss to my wallet. I learned a good lesson with this buy "buy from reputable breeders if you want better specimens", Which is what I'm working towards.

I cant see how throwing them on the ground is humain though? :ske:

I only thought your comment was a bit rough on a new member, that's all.

What a good start, annoying established members right off the bat!!

Thanks

Mike

I hope you don't think you have annoyed me, because you havn't.

A quick hard blow on the ground in my mind is a lot quicker and painless than other methods.

With Captain Hindsight beside me, I realise my comment was rough, so again I am sorry and will try not to be such a keyboard warrior in the future.

Well I think they are quite unique. AND shame on you camtang for that comment!! Not everyone shares that point of view that you explained. Some comments are best not said!!! ALSO you can't honestly say all peacock and blue zebra cichlids just to name 2, are hybrids!!! IV got blue zebras and got questioned just because mine have a medium bright blue instead of the darker blue but they still blue zebras!!!

You should be ashamed to suggest something like that.

Well I think they are quite unique. AND shame on you camtang for that comment!! Not everyone shares that point of view that you explained. Some comments are best not said!!! ALSO you can't honestly say all peacock and blue zebra cichlids just to name 2, are hybrids!!! IV got blue zebras and got questioned just because mine have a medium bright blue instead of the darker blue but they still blue zebras!!!

:slfg:

If a zebra is called a blue zebra then it is exactly that it is a zebra and it is blue and it is more than likely a hybrid, a mix of all sorts of species of pure zebras. This is what 99% of the zebras in NZ are. Same with peacocks, people buy peacocks and breed them with anything, they are still a peacock but they aren't a pure breed. Blue zebra is just a common name and is no exact fish, just chuck it in google image search and you will see all sorts pop up, zebras, peacocks and even haps.

The big issue is that all zebras and all peacocks will cross breed and people like to keep them in mixed tanks and breed them, that is also coupled with the fact that most fish are hybrids before they even come in to the country because of our importation system.

The issue with hybrids is when people buy them and give them pure names, people pay good money for these fish expecting them to be what they have paid for, they are not and people get ripped off and you end up with a whole heap of random fish on the market muddying the (already) terrible gene pool of (in this case) african cichlids in NZ.

And you are welcome to YOUR view point on them being unique, to me they are horrible. Just like not everybody shares my view, others do not share yours, me being one of them. I was not forcing the OP to do that, I was offering a suggestion from my own view point. They do not have to take on my advice, but I do feel it an acceptable suggestion, Re: Ryans comments above.

I do not feel ashamed of my orgianal comment, however I should of justifyed my suggestion with an explanation, so that this conversation would not have led to where it has. That I am sorry for.

I have read indifferent thoughts on clove oil, and at this stage I have not tryed it. I may look for some for the next time I need to euthanise something.

I agree with Ryan and Camtang on this one I have been stung a few times buying fish that are hybrids but have been advertised as somthing else, personally i'm not interested in keeping hybrids and to be sold fish that are hybrids is wrong unless stated. I learnt my lesson and now buy fish off breeders I trust such as Ryan. Just my opinion.