An interesting discovery

camtang

I found this in my pleco tank today. DSC00948_zpsdfec4bb5.jpg

I am having mixed feelings, the fry was on the intake of the canister and the adult on the spraybar.

This is the first fry in the tank that I have seen, but it sucks that I lost an adult in the process.

I am unsure of what type of pleco the fry is but I guess in time I will find out.

Anyway all water paras are normal except for Nitrate so a water change is in order a day early this week.

Hikari algae wafers, hikari sinking carnivore for the plecos. Then any left over flake, NLS cichlid, bloodworms and white worms that the blue emperor tetras don't eat. The worms go in once a week, Hikari products 2 or 3 times a week. In reflection more carnivore tabs are going in then the algae wafers.

Are you enjoying your new replacement whiptail....

Are you enjoying your new replacement whiptail....

Yep but that one is just an addition to the other royal, I lost a red whiptail and a Phill Collis special whiptail.

My Plecs get mostly Hikari algae wafers and jbl novo pleco now plus veges, A good read on pleco feeding here

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ary-Thread

Thanks for thr link, I have read that several times before. But its still good too read again.

have you added anything recently?

Fluval 3 internal filter the day before this all started. 24 blue emperor tetras added over three weeks in groups of 8

The food being feed has dramiaticly been changed over the last four months. They were only getting left over flake and aquaone budget pellet with the odd salmon pallet when I remembered. The tank has changed from a community tank owned by my flatmate to a pleco tank since then

Lost the 5th and last 270 this morning. Checked the temp and it was 22.3, pulled the heater out and found a cracked heating elemint. I suspect this to be the cause of the deaths.

Has anyone with 270's kept them at a low temp like that for long periods of time?

The heater was set at 27 for that reason, with a bit of flacuation from cold water changes it never seemed to go under 24.5 roughly but if the heater was busted and it slowly went down then a cold water change on thursday would of dramaticly dropped it to 22 for a couple days.

NOT COOL at all

Sorry to hear about your losses. I'd say you're right about the heater. At such low temps you plecos would likely not feed and you may also have problems with excess food fouling the water.

If its a big tank you might want to go for two heaters so you have a backup and your heating will be more even across the tank.

Lost the 5th and last 270 this morning. Checked the temp and it was 22.3, pulled the heater out and found a cracked heating elemint. I suspect this to be the cause of the deaths.

Has anyone with 270's kept them at a low temp like that for long periods of time?

hmmm not that low but I kept my L270 at a stable 25oC for 3 years and then he mysteriously died, maybe my water was too cool for his liking in the long run.

Have now got an L168 as the temp seems to be more agreeable and he/she is way more visible which I like.

Sorry to hear about your losses. I'd say you're right about the heater. At such low temps you plecos would likely not feed and you may also have problems with excess food fouling the water.

If its a big tank you might want to go for two heaters so you have a backup and your heating will be more even across the tank.

I hadnt feed for a day or two thinking it maybe bloat, but I will keep an eye on that over the next few days.

Tank is 200LTR, and it was a 300W heater.I replaced it this morning but still the temp hasnt increased :facepalm: :facepalm:

Have now got an L168 as the temp seems to be more agreeable and he/she is way more visible which I like.

There is a L168 in this tank with no issue.

The super baffeling thing to me is that it is only 270 that have died all other fish have been fine. Well all are still alive at least