Advise with importing

zuri08

Hey guys my wife is importing some clothes from l.a.and customs is charging 80 dollars for holding/checking i guess?is this right?i thought there were no charges on items under 400?i thought this woudl be a good place to ask since some here have experience importing stuff in any advise greatly accepted and appreciated

ok so theres going to be fees mo matter what she is importing?i thought there was no tax on stuff under 400.

My understanding is: There is tax always. Even if there is no specific import duty you still owe GST. But they write it off if the total amount owing is under $60(IIRC?) which is the GST on $400. Keep in mind that amount also includes shipping. I suppose they've calculated that it costs them that $60 to bill you and chase up people that don't pay.

I've never had a sub$400 order stopped and I order a fair amount of stuff from the UK and the states including clothing items. If you go over $400 it's another story though and they won't release (deliver) the goods until the duty/gst is paid. If the total order including shipping is less than $400 then you'll be sweet.

My understanding is: There is tax always. Even if there is no specific import duty you still owe GST. But they write it off if the total amount owing is under $60(IIRC?) which is the GST on $400. Keep in mind that amount also includes shipping. I suppose they've calculated that it costs them that $60 to bill you and chase up people that don't pay.

Correct. Customs don't chase people for payment. You don't pay, you don't get your stuff. Whatever shipping agent you are using will hold the goods and calculate the amount you need to pay. If they need the lodge a formal clearance with Customs (low value items are written off on mass via manifests) then Customs charge additional processing fees on top of the duty/GST and then there will be the Customs Agents fees. If MPI (MAF) decide to examine your shipment, or an MPI clearance is required, there can be additional charges. Customs do not charge you for examining your goods.