Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's this?

Featured Replies

I rescued the last remaining A. Heckelii from my ex's house yesterday and they're both in various levels of sickness. I can't figure out what these white tufts are. Any ideas?

I've got them in a tank with freshly changed water. I've thrown in a handfull of epsom salts and some melafix for good luck. If I can get an ID I'll treat accordingly.

q14o.jpg

Some kind of fungal infection, I've had a handful of various cichlids with something similar. Never got a real ID beyond "Maybe some kinda fungus", "Maybe opportunistic fungus", maybe hexamita or maybe fish TB.

I did yank one of the tufts out of one fish's head once and took a picture...

yuck.jpg

Columnaris sometimes shows itself as cotton wool tufts on the face. Its one of the first infestations that occur

after stressors have weakened the fish. Further diagnosis is needed of course.

I would suggest lowering the temperature, to the lower end of the fishes scope of tolerance,which inhibits the bacterium.

Dosing the tank with a salt solution of 1% 1g per liter for one week , that can be phased out with regular WC's.

Couple this with a salt dip in a 3-5% solution. 3 times a day for 3 days. It won't kill off the bugs but will inhibit it. Allowing the immunity to kick in and prevent further spread to other fish. I have heard of mixed results with furan2 available at your LFS. I think it affects gram neg and positive.I'll check on that

later today. Good luck

I would point the finger at fungal infection due to the state of his fins as well, your choice of Meth Blue or Pimafix for a treatment option, if he's large enough consider topical application of meth blue directly to the tufts.

There is finrot going on as well and that is bacterial---needs an antibiotic.

I agree.

Finrot can be either fungal or bacterial or excessive salt(5%+) solution in the tank water.

You often find a multitude of bad guys(bacterium) attacking at the same time. A microscope and some fish slime would help you narrow down your target.

A good read http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php

Good luck

  • Author
I would treat with furan2 as it will treat fungus, columnaris and finrot.

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll go to the shops now and hope they're still open when I get there.

Thanks to everybody else as well, fingers crossed he makes it through.

  • Author

Thanks, I didn't make it but I'll get there first thing in the morning. His tufts have fallen off today and he's no longer clamping his fins and can swim quite well. Now it's just a race to get him eating before he starves to death.

  • Author
What have you done so far to help your fish?

I started by rescuing him from a rotten tank and treating the good tank with salt and melafix while trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with him. Now that I know I will treat the condition and hope for the best.

Are you accusing me of not doing enough?

Whoa, easy on tiger.

Not accusing you of anything. Just a level of transparency. In the interest of learning what has and hasn't worked in this particular case.

Fish disease and ailments are pretty tricky to diagnose and correct. Especially when people are remotely helping.

By listing what remedies you have used and found effective can help people out in the future.

Good luck though.

personally if he is showing signs of recovery I would hold back on the furan 2, best to not stress the sytem unless required.

get him a pile of live food to keep his strength up. and keep up the clean water.

imo Furan 2 is the Last resort.

still can't believe someone would do that so such a beautiful fish.

Just a guess from a distance. Can observe finrot---needs an antibiotic. Fungus is an oportunistic infection that will often follow finrot. The other "fungus" may be columnaris which needs to be hit hard and rapidly, hence my preference for furan. Other antibiotics are prescription only. Not compulsary but it is what I would use.

  • Author
Whoa, easy on tiger.

Not accusing you of anything. Just a level of transparency. In the interest of learning what has and hasn't worked in this particular case.

Fish disease and ailments are pretty tricky to diagnose and correct. Especially when people are remotely helping.

By listing what remedies you have used and found effective can help people out in the future.

Good luck though.

Sorry, I was in reactive mode. How dare you question my methods! :sage:

Um, yeah, so just good clean water, a bit of salt and some melafix as of yesterday and I've added furan 2 today. No obvious signs of improvement so far but it has only been 12 hours. Will update in the next couple of days with the outcome.

Thanks all for your help, it's very much appreciated.

  • Author

Seems it was too little too late - he was dead this morning. He had taken a hiding from his tank mates in the night and that had done him in.

Thanks for you help all - it's very much appreciated.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.