Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1400 Litre build part 3 .. :)

Featured Replies

Ok .. I was posting in DIY - but I am very excited.

Having kept a large tank for over a year now - I am the master at tropical fishkeeping in a large tank. The issue of course is that it is supposed to be a large "Planted Tank".

So - last weekend we pulled down the tank and started again.

Quick recap can be got here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59027&hilit=1400+litre

and here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63290

Here are some things I have done differently.

1. Changed out the t5 lighting system for a lot of LED lighting.

2. Built a sump and installed it.

3. Plumbed everything properly. including an overflow - and we are adding a auto water change (drip system).

4. More substrate.

5. New Hardscape

6. a lot of plants.

And a very special person to help me along the way. I'll let him introduce himself in due course.

So - A teaser photo for you all ( we are scaping and planting saturday) at the moment the tank is just .. leak testing and running etc. I will take some time tomorrow to document the entire build with pictures so you can see what we have been up to.

ssrrtmja.qxr.jpg

  • Replies 54
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

finished.

Actually. Just got to wait for the plants to grow in a little now .. Here is a sneak peak. I promise to get the build details and video and stuff organized and a contribution from the main creator ..

Quick pic .. :) Click on the image for a larger view.

jyuk5gha.eml.jpg

  • Author
Wow, that looks amazing. What are the stocking plans for that thing?

Thanks - Currently I have around 40 harlequin rasboras, tetras of 3 or 4 variants and some cherry barbs. Around 100 small fish. I'm certainly not in a hurry at this stage. I would like to add some large schools of special fish; I just don't know what they will be yet.

At this stage - I would like to see how that goes - and then decide on more fish. There are a couple of corys and bristlenoses - but i doubt we will ever see them .. the tank will get more enjoyment from their presence than the owner I think.

  • Author
What sort of LEDs are you using?

Hi David - I'm quite enjoying your tank thread over on monster fishkeepers - (i agree with your comments about your lighting btw).

The lights I am using were purchased from Valray on Trademe. Here is a link to a similar set http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/f ... 422182.htm - Extremely happy with the performance to date - exceptional lights.

  • Author

Ok - here is some of the info about the build.

First up - I wanted to add a sump. It was made clear to me when I built the tank the first time around that I would want one - and I was happy to do it as a "next time I pull the tank down" type project.

First up - This is a custom designed sump - it's a very smart design and works extremely well. Measures 120 long and as you will see from the pics is designed to fit under my cabinet. This sump was designed by lotofish (who is on these forums) and built by Greg from Tanks2u here in Auckland.

Sump

gn11d3f5.de4.jpg

Sump

wud1oajp.dkf.jpg

Sump in the cabinet and plumbed in!

dlr4cl4i.dmv.jpg

Here you can see the sponge arrangement. they sit perfectly in the slots that were made for them and vary in grade.

1pdkixqp.3u3.jpg

  • Author

Next we prepped the tank. My wife was happy enough to zip around the remove all remnants of the old tank. Took around 20 mins to clean with a good blade from Hollywoods.

srpahp0t.2zd.jpg

Once the old hardscape was out .. we were left with .. our substrate (which was not very deep)

wwf5zc4k.kaf.jpg

We laid out the hardscape ..

xoshyycw.mq5.jpg

Then decided to swap the schist for moss rock which we obtained from stone and water world. This required about an hour of water blasting to clean. We also got another 6 bags of black grit from stone and water world. To my surprise it was a very cost effective place to buy it from. Took around an hour to wash the stuff we used.

inwhvfb0.ast.jpg

  • Author

Hardscape in the tank. This was a process and a half - but we were lucky to have 3 of use with very keen eyes.

n2jvatuu.w2u.jpg

Planting begins

rld331l2.oiz.jpg

And continues .. (who might that be in the photo )

lucl0t0j.552.jpg

and filled at last. (but not fully planted yet) end of sat night.

kadzrkyt.imb.jpg

You will notice the temporary overflow setup. This was due to the new custom overflow box being assembled etc.

  • Author

Overflow box

bn5xy2f4.pln.jpg

More overflow box

3jfcygab.ast.jpg

Installed - you can see it on the left back of the tank. Extremely quiet

pubpaxjm.nme.jpg

Final plant layout (click for bigger image) and with my surronds on.

seb5ydzd.52s.jpg

  • Author

Some of the plumbing.

I will follow up with detailed photos - tech details and other exciting nerdy facts when I have a chance to take some high res images with my camera.

I will also try and get some detailed shots of the plants ..

0mvhbuqv.4of.jpg

Here you can see the sponge arrangement. they sit perfectly in the slots that were made for them and vary in grade.

1pdkixqp.3u3.jpg

Good to see Poret filter foam featuring in some large tank build threads. Looking good.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.