kinda confused

F15hguy

Trying to get a cheap hand grinder for my GF's birthday,

but I've only ever know them as "dremels" which is a brand name that is rather expensive.

I only want a cheapy to see if my missus actually enjoys using it without wasting heaps of money.

real problem is I don't have a clue what to search for, I try "Hand grinder" or Hand drill" and end up with heavy powertools,

try dremel and only get brand name stuff. what else would you call it?

Trying to get a cheap hand grinder for my GF's birthday,

but I've only ever know them as "dremels" which is a brand name that is rather expensive.

I only want a cheapy to see if my missus actually enjoys using it without wasting heaps of money.

real problem is I don't have a clue what to search for, I try "Hand grinder" or Hand drill" and end up with heavy powertools,

try dremel and only get brand name stuff. what else would you call it?

Why would you call a rotary tool a hand grinder?

I never have, just trying to find a name that is not Dremel.

btw thank you for your help..

now can you start with the smart ass reply, your kinda freaking me out how normal that was.

You know if you google "Dremel" the first result is, "Manufacturer of hand held rotary tools" :)

:sml2:

Once upon a time I got a no-name rotary tool from Placemakers for $20. I couldn't believe my luck, those things are normally expensive. But no I'm not selling it.

Yeah, I got one for about the same, maybe a bit more. Lasted 2 uses. So I decided to spend the money on a real dremel. It works well. :)

Dremels are pretty light duty too . Air powered die grinder is what ya want if ya gonna use it often

I suspect his "missus" isn't going to be porting cast iron cylinder heads...A dremel should be more than heavy duty enough. :)

The cheaper models are very hit and miss. Most don't last very long, but work pretty well while they are going. The odd one seems to go forever. The dremels are really good and would be perfect for hobby use. I think you're doing it right by starting with a cheap one and if she really gets into it, upgrade to a better one. They are the sought of thing that often ends up gathering dust, but they can be amazingly handy every now and then.