Wild discus

Discusguru

Maybe we should stop using the term "wild" by itself and differentiate between "wild caught" and "wild type", as there is quite a difference between the two.

Ron and Hovmollers discus are "wild caught", meaning they were fished out of the Amazon somewhere and imported into New Zealand. When they breed them (note 'when', not 'if'.. 8) ) their offspring will be "wild type", meaning they are captive bred wild strains as opposed to most captive bred discus which are selectively bred "fancy" strains.

I have seen some on TradeMe listed as F1 captive bred from wild parents. How true this is I'm not sure as I haven't seen the fish or met the breeder, though I gather he does have a pretty serious set up and a good reputation with discus?

Maybe we should stop using the term "wild" by itself and differentiate between "wild caught" and "wild type", as there is quite a difference between the two.

Ron and Hovmollers discus are "wild caught", meaning they were fished out of the Amazon somewhere and imported into New Zealand. When they breed them (note 'when', not 'if'.. 8) ) their offspring will be "wild type", meaning they are captive bred wild strains as opposed to most captive bred discus which are selectively bred "fancy" strains.

I have seen some on TradeMe listed as F1 captive bred from wild parents. How true this is I'm not sure as I haven't seen the fish or met the breeder, though I gather he does have a pretty serious set up and a good reputation with discus?

Thank you, that's a great explanation :thup:

So is one type considered inferior or superior to the other? I was told I have wilds like it was a bad thing (meaning wild type as I seriously doubt mine were fished from the Amazon) :wink: