Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stocking assistance required!

Featured Replies

Looking for something to stock in my 240l tank, currently home to 40 neon tetras, 16 harlequin rasbora, 10 kuhli loaches and a nannacara anomala pair. The only one's I'm dead-set on keeping are the kuhlis and N. anomala.

I've considered angels, wild-type sword-tails and rainbowfish. Can't seem to come to a decision. I'd rather not add any more dwarf cichlids at this stage and just let my nannacara's be the king and queen of their domain.

Opinions and suggestions? Here's the tank.

996184_10151541040973505_1556246496_n.jpg

Some Marble Hatchets? What kind of fish are you looking for? Are you looking for a feature fish or two? Maybe add a few small Plecs.

  • Author

Thanks for the replies guys, however...

Since I posted this I have decided to go a completely different route. Decided to try my hand at my first biotope (semi-biotope at least, because I'm not brave enough to delve into region-specific plants just yet). I am torn between 2 choices at the moment.

1. West African River Biotope

1x Pantodon buchholzi -- Pantodon Butterfly Fish

10x Pelvicachromis pulcher -- Kribensis (will thin out population as they age)

10x Phenacogrammus interruptus -- Congo Tetra

6x Synodontis nigriventris -- True Upsidedown Catfish

and then either of...

2x Steatocranus casuarius -- African Blockhead/Lionhead Cichlid (if I can find a pair)

1x Ctenopoma acutirostre -- Leopard Bush Fish/Spotted Climbing Perch

2. South-East Asian River Biotope

10x Puntius tetrazona -- Tiger Barb

6x Botia almorhae -- Yoyo/Pakistani Loach

6x Botia kubotai -- Polka-Dot/Angelicus/Burmese Border Loach

6x Botia striata -- Zebra Loach

Opinions?

  • Author

I actually meant to out 20x Tiger Barbs, not 10. Whoops.

Yeah I'm probably leaning towards option 2 because then I can keep my kuhli loaches in there (my favourite fish), but option 1 would be more different and interesting. :dunno: I am so indecisive.

Ooo we can vote here too!

2 - loaches.

However, when I saw you on Saturday you mentioned you've already done loaches before.

Catfish are cool from #1, I'd probably prefer rainbows over tetras though.

  • Author

I'm not worried about having done the loaches before. I already have 6 Yoyo loaches in my 400l so I guess it kinda makes sense to go with that option.

I AM really excited about the prospect of Upsidedown cats though!!

:facepalm: I suck at decisions.

West Africa is currently winning the voting war.

No 1 will give a better spread of fish throughout the tank but I think the stocking level will be too heavy for that size.

No 2 has a lot of bottom lower level fish (heavy lower level stocking) and 20 tiger barbs won't give a lot of action further up.

  • Author

A mentioned with the African tank, I won't be keeping 10 Kribensis, and I'm only getting Lionheads OR the Ctenopoma, not both. I don't think 10 Congos, 6 cats, a few pairs of kribs and a pantodon is too much for a 4-foot tank? :dunno:

And re the loaches, I've kept them many times before and I don't tend to regard them as complete bottom-dwellers, since they are hugely active around the whole tank. My yoyos (currently in my 450l tank) occupy the entire tank -- which is why I'm swapping them for something that will STAY on the bottom (Hoplos). :slfg:

I've not kept Tiger Barbs before but I was under the impression they were really active fish? :digH:

Ooo, we could vote using that and Amelia wouldn't be able to tell that I've already voted on Facebook :bggrn: :nilly:

That sounds like the perfect way for me to get a double vote, if the website decides to let me vote.

  • Author

:gpo2: Yup! I also have a 450l cichlid tank in the lounge for my sevs, parrot and EBJD. I'd love to do both but that isn't an option right now. However whatever one I don't go with will definitely go in the "one day" box.

OK see if you can vote now.

It might have wanted a time period for the poll, which I didn't select.

I voted for loach tank because I love those little guys :love:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.