Restricting Flow

Godly3vil

I am wanting to use an inline co2 reactor and was wondering something, the reactor has 20mm fittings and my filter is using 25mm hose, if I use some reducers on either side of the reactor am I just going to cause damage to the pump motor or will this even make any noticeable difference on flow?

I am wanting to use an inline co2 reactor and was wondering something, the reactor has 20mm fittings and my filter is using 25mm hose, if I use some reducers on either side of the reactor am I just going to cause damage to the pump motor or will this even make any noticeable difference on flow?

Will probably make a measurable difference, I don't know about noticeable thought. And no it won't damage the motor.

there must be a calculator somewhere on the net that will tell you.

I know when we reduce a fire hose diameter from 70mm to 45mm we get a significant friction loss.

The friction loss for a 70mm dia hose is 15kpa per length and the friction loss for a 45mm dia length of hose is 150kpa per length. So if we want 700kpa at the branch (nozzle) then we need to add 165kpa at the appliance for one length of each sized hose (765kpa at appliance=700kpa at branch).

I don't know how many litres per minute that equals which is probably more what you want to know though. Will be interesting to see what that all equals if someone works it out.

Plumber's rule of thumb---If you double the diameter you get four times the flow. The friction loss increases remarkable as the diameter decreases as there is a lot more water in contact with the walls of the pipe (proportionately).

Is the point where it narrows a major factor?