fish (1) Died

Judy Sanson

No apparent reason that I could see. All other fish are fine. Water parameters good. I make a point of studying them when they have been fed. No spots, fungus, nipped fins, fin fungus, nothing on ANY of the fish, bright eyed and bushy tailed (finned). So, friday night, as per normal, studying them, no probs. Saturday morning, my wee golden barb. Dead. Lying at bottom of tank. WTH ??? Got me beat, all other fish, still good. A question for you all. can a fish choke to death ?? A shrimp pellet ?? Could he of been attacked ??? He was bigger that the other fish except a clown loach and a male bristlenose. The three of them were same size approximately. The other fish are penguin Tetras (4) and a female Plattie (they were friends) and 5 tiger barbs. His mouth was wide open when I found him, hence the question of choking. No marks that I could see on his body. :dno:

No apparent reason that I could see. All other fish are fine. Water parameters good. I make a point of studying them when they have been fed. No spots, fungus, nipped fins, fin fungus, nothing on ANY of the fish, bright eyed and bushy tailed (finned). So, friday night, as per normal, studying them, no probs. Saturday morning, my wee golden barb. Dead. Lying at bottom of tank. WTH ??? Got me beat, all other fish, still good. A question for you all. can a fish choke to death ?? A shrimp pellet ?? Could he of been attacked ??? He was bigger that the other fish except a clown loach and a male bristlenose. The three of them were same size approximately. The other fish are penguin Tetras (4) and a female Plattie (they were friends) and 5 tiger barbs. His mouth was wide open when I found him, hence the question of choking. No marks that I could see on his body. :dno:

He died of a cerebral aneurysm as a secondary complication lupus anticoagulant disorder.

Without a full autopsy that's as good a guess as any.

He died of a cerebral aneurysm as a secondary complication lupus anticoagulant disorder.

Without a full autopsy that's as good a guess as any.

It's not lupus, it's never lupus :facepalm:

My guess is old age but it always pays to keep an eye on the other fish just in case.

As Ira said, without a full autopsy and tests, you will probably never know the cause of death. It may be coincidence it died with its mouth open and unrelated to cause.

Yes they can choke. I think you will find fish can also die of heart attacks, strokes, tumours etc and show no outward sign of illness.

He was less than two years old. I had him since he was a tiny baby. He was my favorite. I got him by accident when I got a bunch of plants through Trade Me. Lol, I told a friend of mine that I had taken him to the vet so they could do an autopsy to find out the cause of death. She believed me. don't worry, I told her I was pulling her leg. Oh well. That,s life I guess. My other ones seem to be going strong. Feel a wee bit sad though, I have to admit. :tears:

When you icki stick a fish it usually thrusts it's lower jaw forward and opens it's mouth like it's gasping for air (of course it isn't really doing that). I think it's some kind of reflex that happens when their brain or heart stops.

When you icki stick a fish it usually thrusts it's lower jaw forward and opens it's mouth like it's gasping for air (of course it isn't really doing that). I think it's some kind of reflex that happens when their brain or heart stops.

I've always thought it was something to do with the spine being severed and the the nerve spasms as a result of that.