My 2000L tank build

David R

Cemix Builders sand from Bunnings, ~$8 for 25kg.

attachment.php?attachmentid=927730&d=1372499515

just don't believe them when they tell you it is "washed"...

attachment.php?attachmentid=927731&d=1372499570

That pic was taken with one poxy old 4' fluro on the tank with the rather average [in poor light] camera on my phone, so it doesn't really show the sand that well. It is the same stuff I had in my 1400L, there's pics in the link in my signature, it is nice and natural looking and completely inert. I've added a couple of kgs of beach sand to help buffer it or else rain water + lots of wood = pH <5...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what that piece of wood is... its spectacular! :sml1:

no really, its awesome, nice how the 'trunk' is far ont he corner and looks like the tree roots are growing into the centre of the tank.

also leaves plenty of room for the black aro.

nice, cant wait to see it fully upa nd running!

Spraybar done, everything running as it should be! I'm pretty happy with how quiet it is for the amount of water that is being moved, will be even quieter once the pump is sitting up on a sponge.

http://youtu.be/Gal9R8epz8w

I'm about to head into town to get some C-channel to mount the lights, and I'm going to start heating it tonight. Only problem I've found with the Poret is it isn't rigid enough to support itself against the flow of water, I'm going to try track down some egg crate to put behind the last sheet to keep it from sagging too much.

attachment.php?attachmentid=928595&d=1372820193

The aim is to have fish in it by the end of the month, fingers crossed!

ps. are these pics working for non-MFK people?

Only problem I've found with the Poret is it isn't rigid enough to support itself against the flow of water, I'm going to try track down some egg crate to put behind the last sheet to keep it from sagging too much.

Why don't you push it back against the next glass partition? I know it will reduce the area of foam it will go through but will still work.

Because I've finally managed to track down some of that plastic egg crate stuff the yanks and aussies are always using for cool stuff but we can't get! (Thanks Hovmoller) I'll have a piece of that supporting the last piece of foam and that should keep the others from bowing too much.

The difference between a $5 thermometer and a $40 thermometer? About 6C!

attachment.php?attachmentid=929374&d=1373083519

So the tank was actually warm, but I've added another couple of 300W heaters (five total now) which will all be run off a controller once Henwards Father-in-law has finished building it. Thinking about adding some fish tomorrow!

I have a cooking thermometer to regularly check my temps.

cooking thermometers are quite reliable and made to ensure they are accurate.

but yeah, those cheap ones are not very reliable and good, I would stick to good thermometers. reptile thermometers HAVE to be good, otherwise the lizard will freeze:D

post pic when fish added!

You could test it with a slurry of ice and water, it should be pretty close to zero. or as Krazy_Geoff suggested "calibrate" the cheap ones off a good one by writing the difference on them. The expensive one above is within <0.5C of the temp on the controller for my heaters, so unless they're both equally inaccurate ... (along with my TDS pen, the temp on all three is within a few tenths).

I've played around with the lights and the shadows from the bracing are unavoidable. So the 30W floods will be used for lighting the deck and bbq, and I'll be looking at either these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-DEAL-48- ... 337ff52d00

or these;

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... -inch.html

Thinking four 36" units suspended about 20-30cm above the tank should work well.

How to make a 17cm Geophagus look small and lost...

attachment.php?attachmentid=929513&d=1373154326

attachment.php?attachmentid=929515&d=1373154473

They seem to really like having the big open space, the only decor at the moment is the stump and they went straight under it when I put them in there, came back an hour later and they're out exploring the open and re-establishing their pecking order...

Next mission is building a drip tray, and possibly tidying the garage...

attachment.php?attachmentid=929517&d=1373154714

:oops: