My 2000L tank build

David R

We were going to speak to the insurance company today about something completely unrelated, so I'll mention it to them then.

Putting a drain in the concrete slab would be very difficult now, bordering on impossible. The floor wouldn't be sloped for the water to run into it anyway. I certainly would have done it if we had build the house ourselves! Fortunately with the layout of the house the only areas it could flood are the garage, laundry and the single downstairs bedroom (currently my brewing room!), the rest of the house is all upstairs.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on spending a fair bit of time down here, which is why I wanted the tank at eye level while sitting, here's the view from the couch.

And this is the view your fish will have. :bggrn:

IMG_8510Medium_zpsa27b6085.jpg

Awesome tank dude. Perfect room for it too. :gpo2:

awesomeballs!

that tank looks great! the couch is ok distance wise, i think you will get a good feel and view of it!

so exciting, looking forward to seeing the black aro in there!!

get that sump design up! we wanna see!

We were going to speak to the insurance company today about something completely unrelated, so I'll mention it to them then.

Putting a drain in the concrete slab would be very difficult now, bordering on impossible. The floor wouldn't be sloped for the water to run into it anyway. I certainly would have done it if we had build the house ourselves! Fortunately with the layout of the house the only areas it could flood are the garage, laundry and the single downstairs bedroom (currently my brewing room!), the rest of the house is all upstairs.

AMI Premier contents treat tanks up to 10yrs as furniture and has a full replacement guarantee OR repair if its cheaper.

make sure you do a semi auto water change system:D imagine draining a tank like that, waiting and filling. a real pain!:D

Wouldn't trust AMI as far as I could kick them when it comes to paying out on tank damage but thats only my experience.

Just make sure you get a proper receipt from Greg for making the tank, it may be the difference between a claim being recognised and one that is refused.

Sorry to take the subject off topic DavidR.

Its one lovely tank.

Is the sump being built on site as well?

Hmm I hadn't even thought about the receipt! The thing is this tank cost a lot less than it probably should have as Greg was able to source some large 15mm offcuts, if it had to be made with new glass then the cost would have doubled at least.

Greg will make the sump in his shop, it will only be about 6' so not too difficult to transport! There will certainly be the potential for at least semi-automated water changes, a drain in the sump at the "normal" level which can be opened so new water can be pumped straight into the tank. This could be made more automated with either a continuous drip or a tap on a timer if I desire, but with a group of big messy plecs I think siphoning is always going to be part of the program, no matter how well set up the filtration is. The other consideration is that we are reliant on rain water, so over the summer I'll need to monitor closely the amount of water the tank uses. I certainly won't be doing big water changes just for the fun of it!

I suggest you ask Greg to make you a receipt for what the tank would cost normal retail, just for your records, not what it actually cost.

When our tank cracked and flooded the lounge, dining room, kitchen and had started creeping up the hall, AMI was very good to us. They would not cover the damage done, as it was not considered a "normal water supply" fault but did suggest we get the dearest quote possible to replace the tank then use the excess to help pay for lifting the carpet, drying it out, and re-laying.

We have since changed our contents policy to make sure it includes aquarium breakage and damage caused by same.

Looking awesome man, building tanks this big becomes so much more of a project I'd imagine. Comapred to the last 'big' tank you did was there anything you did differently?

I think more planning comes into play. the size itself requires planning, i think more so than smaller tanks.

not sure if david would agree.

i guess its also cos once it is built, there is no moving it, its staying put!

David: would you agree that as you build tanks - you refine your designs to address 'screw ups' in the previous ones? such as flow etc?

Most certainly!! What did I do differently this time round, other than bigger of course!

Drains - two 50mm drains, one set lower than the other and adjustable with a ball valve so it can flow as a full siphon while the other handles the rest. The two drains should be able to hangle around 5000GPH flow, which is 10x turn over and more than double what I intend to run!

Sump - more mechanical filtration, and in stages too. I'm planning on having an easy to clean pre-filter before the socks, as with the last set up I needed to clean and change the socks every three days to avoid over-flowing them!

Stand - far beefier and more rigid, with diagonal gussets in the corners. Same low height for optimum seated viewing.

Background - even 3d background made from mortar was no match for the plecs and starting to show signs of wear, so this time I've simply painted the back black. With nearly 4' of water in front of it I didn't feel the need for a fancy looking background.

Those are the main things that spring to mind, but there is probably more. Henward is right, you're always learning and changing things. One thing is for sure; this tank has even more reinforced my love of wide tanks, I don't think I'd ever own a tank that is as wide as it is high again.

Most certainly!! What did I do differently this time round, other than bigger of course!

Drains - two 50mm drains, one set lower than the other and adjustable with a ball valve so it can flow as a full siphon while the other handles the rest. The two drains should be able to hangle around 5000GPH flow, which is 10x turn over and more than double what I intend to run!

Sump - more mechanical filtration, and in stages too. I'm planning on having an easy to clean pre-filter before the socks, as with the last set up I needed to clean and change the socks every three days to avoid over-flowing them!

Stand - far beefier and more rigid, with diagonal gussets in the corners. Same low height for optimum seated viewing.

Background - even 3d background made from mortar was no match for the plecs and starting to show signs of wear, so this time I've simply painted the back black. With nearly 4' of water in front of it I didn't feel the need for a fancy looking background.

Those are the main things that spring to mind, but there is probably more. Henward is right, you're always learning and changing things. One thing is for sure; this tank has even more reinforced my love of wide tanks, I don't think I'd ever own a tank that is as wide as it is high again.

Haha, the footprint is extremely shocking when you first look at it, your dimensions are same as mine except height.

But if ind that the shape and look is so overwhelming, impactful in fact.

the depth is cool, cos you dont need a 3d background, if you really wanted to, youc an just put branchi stuff standing as background, it will look mean!

cant wait to se eyour school of wild discus:D :fshi:

Finalised the sump design yesterday, from left to right it will have a large settling chamber to catch the coarse waste, then up to six 50mm thick sheets of Poret foam (I'll start with two 10ppi and two 20ppi and see how that goes), then some additional bio media (pond matrix and bioballs) then into the chamber with the pump and heaters. There will also be a drain for automated (or semi-automated) water changes.

sump1pic_zpsa41b272a.jpg