My new Juwel Rio 300 Tank Setup

terry17

Finally move into the new home so can continue my fish keeping :-)

My goal is to make my fish tank as part of the decoration at home, that was the main reason I have chosen Rio 300, it is nice looking and fit in with other furnitures.

The main equipments are :

Juwel Roi 300 Tank + stand

include 2x54w lights

Eheim Pro 3 - 600 filter

Eheim 300w heater

1x 3 w air pump

Decoration:

Black background

Cedar fine gravel

Driftwood

Anubias

Fish

Discus x 6

Cadinal tetra x 20, GBA x3, blue ram x4, Jullie Cory x 2, guppy x 2

Rio 300 Tank + Stand, easy installation

IMG_2146r.jpg

IMG_2147r.jpg

I really dont like internal filter so I took it out and use the Eheim Pro 3 instead

DSC_3589r.jpg

Lights

DSC_3608r.jpg

Clean driftwood

DSC_3619r.jpg

wash gravel, I filter out the extra fine parts. This type of gravel has got lots of dust...so it took a lot of time to wash it,,

IMG_2129r.jpg

Backgroud

DSC_3628r.jpg

DSC_3638r-1.jpg

Put gravel in

DSC_3641r.jpg

Tie the plant on drift wood using fishing line

DSC_3644r.jpg

Eheim pro 3 - 600 filter includes all media, for tank up to 600L, max flow1250L/hr,16w, very very quite

DSC_3597r.jpg

DSC_3617r.jpg

Media

DSC_3602r.jpg

Physical media

DSC_3603r.jpg

Boi + Physical

DSC_3606r.jpg

Bio - media

DSC_3607r.jpg

Now the most important part -cycling the filter.

I used a 'fast' way coz I was in a hurry to move in.

I put some boi noodles from my small temporary tank into the new filter so the bacteria is in the new filter straight away

First day, still cloudy

IMG_2164r.jpg

2 days later, water is clear, tested for NH3 and NO2, put in some small fish

IMG_2171r.jpg

Keep testing the water for a week, no NH3, NO2, and pH is dropping nicely

Now putting in discus fish

DSC_3736r.jpg

full view

DSC_3732r.jpg

Julie Cory

DSC_5336r.jpg

GBA

DSC_5325r.jpg

Main fish - Discus

They even bread in the tank but the fry is hard to survive. I bought 6 fish and it turn out to have 2 pairs

DSC_5384r.jpg

DSC_5374r.jpg

DSC_5320r.jpg

DSC_3742r.jpg

DSC_3752r.jpg

DSC_5316r.jpg

DSC_5324r.jpg

end

:cophot:

Excellent effort! Looks really nice!

So much like my own setup (rio 300, pro3 600, eheim heater, etc.) hehe.

I have replaced the black plastic rings in the two lower baskets with sintered glass noodles from trade me. Personally I think they work better.

One question:

What type of Anubias is that and where did you get it? thanks!

Nice clean looking setup dude, I would have to agree with Caryl and be worried about the stand collapsing in a decent quake. You could look into getting a steel frame welded up to go inside the cabinet, I'm sure I have seen that before.

a sheet of ply screwed to the back (with holes for leads and pipes) would probably provide enough lateral bracing. alteratively could bracket it to the wall.

Is google down? :sml1:

HA! I deserved that...

Here is the pic from the Juwel website showing the "dimensions", but it looks like the height of 66cm includes the frame around the top and bottom.

07300.jpg

Is the actual tank 66cm high? My question should really have been 'how high is the water level'...

$1800 according to HFF's website, plus you get $300 vouchers to spend in-store. Nice looking bit of kit, but I think I'd prefer to go custom for a living room tank for that kinda coin.

That is with cabinet.

I bought without cabinet for 13 something..

Nice tank but yes you could spend that money on an entire custom system.

Sorry a bit :smot:

:cophot:

Excellent effort! Looks really nice!

So much like my own setup (rio 300, pro3 600, eheim heater, etc.) hehe.

I have replaced the black plastic rings in the two lower baskets with sintered glass noodles from trade me. Personally I think they work better.

One question:

What type of Anubias is that and where did you get it? thanks!

Ah...I have got some spare eheim bio max, maybe I will try to replace some plastic rings with it. I think they give you 2 layers of plastic rings might be because of they want to lower the cost.

Not sure what type of anubias that is, got it from animate 4 years ago with only 4 leaf on

Good also to see the angels getting to know each other on top of the tank :wink:

How safe are these stands in a quake? With no cross bracing, surely they will go sideways and collapse or are the cupboards enough?

:gpo2: :nfs:

Well, Auckland does not have that many quake :-)

Nice clean looking setup dude, I would have to agree with Caryl and be worried about the stand collapsing in a decent quake. You could look into getting a steel frame welded up to go inside the cabinet, I'm sure I have seen that before.

Thanks, I will look into it :-)

$1800 according to HFF's website, plus you get $300 vouchers to spend in-store. Nice looking bit of kit, but I think I'd prefer to go custom for a living room tank for that kinda coin.

Check out trademe, you should see one at $1500 tank+stand, this should be the 2 light tube model like mine. Hff have the 4 light tube model at a higher price, around $1800i think.

For me, 2x54w is more than enough....