April 4, 201313 yr comment_524123 Some of you may remember this very aquarium from its previous thread. However, since emptying it I have had the left side bracing adjusted to fit the pipes I want on the side. Here's the plan. Lighting, T5HO double unit 6500k tubes. May upgrade to another unit if needed in the future. Filtration, 2x Sunsun HW-302 1000lph canister filters, both with lily pipes and one with inline diffuser and heater. CO2, pressurised 7kg cylinder with inline diffuser. Substrate, yet to be decided. Hardscape, yet to be collected, aiming for large, strong and unique rocks. Planning to have this running by the end of the month so stay tuned folks! Report
April 4, 201313 yr comment_524124 Looks biggerthan 4 foot. Very much looking foward to seeing this tank as all your smaller tanks turn out great Report
April 4, 201313 yr Author comment_524128 It's 1200mm long, 400mm wide and 400mm high, only 192L but it's the biggest that fits in that space. Thanks! I just need large enough rocks and the perfect plants to pull it off. Report
April 4, 201313 yr comment_524132 Subscribed! since this is much like the project i am currently tackling Report
April 8, 201313 yr comment_524463 cool! look forward to this. :smot: but im off to pick up some new metal halides for my tank tonight so it will finaly be high tech haha Report
April 8, 201313 yr comment_524467 :smot: Just because you dont have metal halides Doesn't mean its hight tek. T5s can be use on a hight tek tank. Report
April 8, 201313 yr Author comment_524468 :smot: I agree with Li@m, it's more about the collection of equipment than a certain piece. I could run this tank low tech with the T5HO or high tech if I add pressurised CO2 and nutes. Report
April 8, 201313 yr comment_524470 My definition of high tech - high lights, pressurized co2, e.i. dosing and high maintenance. I'm not sure if I would consider 2 x 54w T5HO high light on a tank that size, what sort of plants are you going to be growing? :smot: Report
April 8, 201313 yr Author comment_524512 I'm not sure if I would consider 2 x 54w T5HO high light on a tank that size, what sort of plants are you going to be growing? I never said it was high light, I even said I could run this as low tech if I wanted My AA tank is only a couple of cm shallower than this and the two T5HO on that are more than enough for it. I feel that it's an appropriate amount of light but I fear that the light spread with the current unit will be an issue. May add a T8 (or another T5HO if I can find another cheap one) at a later date. Still haven't finalised plants, it'll either be a really broad palette or really limited, I'll let the hardscape decide. Speaking of which, I should have by Thursday so I'll need to buy some substrate this week too. Report
April 10, 201313 yr Author comment_524701 Liam and I collected hardscape on one of our days off today. Here's a sneak preview Report
April 10, 201313 yr comment_524755 And how many litres of gravel did you buy and now have to clean.... :sml2: Report
April 10, 201313 yr Author comment_524766 30 litres :digH: I'll probably wash a bucket here and there over the next week till it's done. Report
April 10, 201313 yr Author comment_524772 No idea yet. I'll wait and see where the hardscape takes me 8) Report
April 13, 201313 yr Author comment_525030 Here are some rock formations I found interesting and inspiring at the locations where the rocks were collected. Report
April 13, 201313 yr Author comment_525031 And here are three hardscape layouts I tried this afternoon (in chronological order). Constructive criticism and advice is welcome! Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_525036 Looking good Sam ! I think a large cluster of rocks on one side with a few rocks spread towards the other end of the tank would look really nice IMO. Just a thought though :dunno: Report
April 13, 201313 yr Author comment_525040 More rocks! Agreed, just getting the bones of it out. Once I get the Oyaishi and Fukuishi sorted, I'll add more Soeishi and Suteishi Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_525042 So what was the weight of ur biggest rock? More rocks Bro! Ur 1st scape is best IMO:thup: Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_525043 Also chuck more grit in so you cant c the bar behind it. :smln: Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_525049 I think I like the first one the best but none of them sit well with me :digH: I think I would keep thefirst sort of style but move thr large rock the the back and have the smaller one towards the front???? Report
April 13, 201313 yr comment_525050 I think I would keep thefirst sort of style but move thr large rock the the back and have the smaller one towards the front???? You want the small rocks at the back and the large ones at the front to give it depth. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.