AQUAONE 620T Cracked :-(

LYNDYLOO

Had a phone call from one of my sons on Sunday to say my fish tank in the family room (AR 620T) was leaking.

Lost around 110 litres all over the floor, rung Chemdry to come and do a clean up, 2 hours later he arrives as he was on another job.

Sucks up as much water as he can, rips up carpet, cuts out soaking underlay to take back to depot and dry out, now have big heaters and dehumidifiers going, feel like I'm in a noisy fan bake oven. Got to deal with this until Wednesday, then carpet will be relaid and cleaned. Apparently going to cost me around $1000 for clean up.

Lost 90% of my fish too :-( Gutted.

Have only been in my new place for a couple of months, both my AR620T and my AR980 were moved while still on their factory built stands.

Not sure where to go from here, from what I have read on here insurance companies really don't want to have anything to do with it anyway so guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay the bill.

Any thoughts would be appreciated re contacting Aqua One or Animates where I bought the tank from a couple of years ago.

My insurence company covered the pulling of the water from the carpet, the lease of the airblower and the carpet being reappled, but wouldnt cover cleaning cost's. This was only due to me renting, the landlords insurence would have covered cleaning.He decided not to claim so it cost me $200 for the clean plus my insurence excess.

Next time I am just going to use towels and a dehumydifer and do it my self

When my 450 litre let go last year the only way my insurance company would pay out was through Public Liability Insurance, which they were pushed in to by our landlords who have commerical insurance on their properties. Cost to the insurance company was $3,600 which was replacement carpet and underlay and costs incurred drying out the room. The tank replacement I had to pay for myself as the insurance company didnt want to know about it under our contents policy.

Just going through a marriage break up (27yrs), hence the reason for the move, got house insurance but contents completely slipped my mind, considering I basically moved out with nothing so had nothing to insure anyway.

Have slowly built up what I have over the past couple of months, thanks to Trade Me :-)

So an insurance claim is out of the question :-( until now.

Thanks for your thoughts peeps, it's very much appreciated.

terrible luck & timing, it's like these things are sent to test us.

sadly it is quite common for those tanks to crack as far a i know, i had one that had been repaired for a cracked base before i got it and have heard of that a few times.

Sorry to hear of your problems Linda.

I know the 620T I bought secondhand had been resealled. The 850 also secondhand was fine and was older and not been resealled.

If you are really worried you could have it checked out.

Moving any tank while on its stand is not good I'm told.

Good luck! :)

Not sure how they can be resealed Karina, they have rounded corners.

I thought it would have been safer moving the tank while still on the stand as it then wouldn't be twisted in anyway.

Have read a few replies on here saying a good way to move a tank is to slide it onto a good thick piece of MDF or something thick so the tank doesn't have any movement when it is actually being moved, hence the reason why I moved them while still on the stands.

Anyway now have the dilemma of what to do with the broken tank, apparently the recycling centre won't take them.

when my flatmate flooded the house 6months ago by leaving the tap of before he went to work.. i rung the insurance company they got carpet cleaners out an all the big fans an dehumidfeyrs then ended up finding out the hard way carpet is coverd under contents not house insurace because it wasnt glued down its contents so can be removed when sell it..so had to cough up abot 5-600 for them to sort the carpet an the insurance said they would have a look at the skrting an then came back with sayn its not that bad an couldve been from a washingmachine overflow