How to grow Glossostigma

blueether

Unfortunately two of the big sheep stations above here have undergone dairy conversion in the last 5 odd years, has increased the nutrient input to the river and the algae/cyano have loved it. I believe environment waikato has been involved to get them to clean their act up. Also a large block of pine has been milled that put a lot of pumice into the river over the last few years.

• 1 month later...

once i bought frissidens ( m not sure how to spell it sorry ;( ) from trademe it looked bit unusuall coz it was on broken pieces of rock ..bought for 20 dollar ..n paid extra to drop it to rotorua lol :)

unfortunately its not doin great n my tank .. few days later i went to mc laren falls found same thng ... came to know this guy was selling it from the falls haha :)

• 2 weeks later...
And heaps of small multicoloured triple fins, which i thought were only saltwater but apparently are purposefully released into the lake.

What kind of colours? would have thought they would be bullies of some sort...

Being a lake they probably wont be Red Fin bulies though, which are probably the only ones that could be described as colourful

Being a lake they probably wont be Red Fin bulies though, which are probably the only ones that could be described as colourful

Just did a google search, there is quite a few species of bully in the lake, including Redfin and Blue Gilled :oops:

havent figured out how to post images, but would be interested to know if you think thats what they are, or if they are something different

Edit: Just realized I was looking at a management plan for Te Urewera National Park, rather than just the lake!

Biggest issue is transferring things like leeches from the wild grown plants that can attach to your fish.

Most of the leeches in NZ aren't bloodsuckers, they feed on insects etc. I have a few native leeches in several of my tanks and have never seen them on a fish, but have seen the guppies trying to eat them.

really because after cleaning my uncles rainwater tank, i've had a leech attach itself teeth first to an area of my skin that occasionally resembles a walnut...

one of the black and gold ones? I have had them and a smaller brown one attach them selves to my legs before, but can't remember if the little brown ones feed or were just hitching a ride...

If you are worried about leaches then salt dip the plants and the leaches will fall off

• 2 months later...