March 11, 201313 yr comment_522363 My friend bought a fish from a well known shop in the NI and paid $35 for shipping to Chch. It arrived with only a bag of water to keep it warm rather than a heat pack and absolutely covered in white spot. The water the fish was in and the other bag of water were stone cold. When we called the store they said that is how they ship fish always and there are no garantees. However the bag water and the fish water are of course going to cool at the same rate. I understand shipping live fish is at buyers risk but I feel a heat pack should have been used and am pretty sure was included in the cost of shipping, as she bought another fish from a different store and paid the same shipping and it arrived with a heat pack. It looks like after 2 weeks of treatment the fish is going to die and it was very expensive. Is there anything we can do as we believe the fish got ill as a result of the water being too cold? And how does everyone treat white spot in marines? Report
March 11, 201313 yr comment_522371 I agree with you, there should of been a heat pack included! That is very poor on their part and I would be disputing their claim that they always send tropical fish of any sort that way! For the white spot my advice is don't do anything! White spot on marines is different to fresh water fish and in my experience it's best to do nothing and keep the fish as less stressed as possible! Do you have another tank to put the fish in so the white spot doesn't spread to you other fish? If it gets really bad then you can Google how to do a fresh water dip but trust me, if it's not affecting the fishes behavior then don't do anything to treat it and just keep the fish happy, it will eventually go away! Report
March 11, 201313 yr comment_522372 I agree with you, there should of been a heat pack included! That is very poor on their part and I would be disputing their claim that they always send tropical fish of any sort that way! For the white spot my advice is don't do anything! White spot on marines is different to fresh water fish and in my experience it's best to do nothing and keep the fish as less stressed as possible! Do you have another tank to put the fish in so the white spot doesn't spread to you other fish? If it gets really bad then you can Google how to do a fresh water dip but trust me, if it's not affecting the fishes behavior then don't do anything to treat it and just keep the fish happy, it will eventually go away! One thing you could do Bobyn isname the lfs who shipped the fish that way :dnc1: :cry1: Report
March 11, 201313 yr comment_522384 im pretty shure i know the place you are refering to they are from ak and i got some frags and snails sent to wellington from them they used the same method and as you say the bags were stone cold when they arrived here to, not to mention not one of the frags i recieved looked anything like the photos they advertised them with and one of the frags had been lying face down in the bag flattening most of the polips and it is the only frag that is still yet to open up the flattened polips have since died off and ive gone from a frag with around 20 - 30 down to a frag of around 5 polips that are yet to open but they do look like they are trying to so hopefully they will as it was my favourite of the 3 i purchased :env: :an!gry &c:ry Report
March 12, 201313 yr Author comment_522412 I dont really want to name them. But it seems they are not willing to accept anything was wrong Report
March 12, 201313 yr comment_522415 I dont really want to name them. But it seems they are not willing to accept anything was wrong Was there any problems with the couriers? what fish was it? Report
March 13, 201313 yr Author comment_522481 No problem with the courier.It is a Dalmation Puffer Report
March 13, 201313 yr comment_522484 I think I got some fish from the same place, Arrived with cold bags of water. 1 of the 5 fish survived. I don't think I will buy fish from there again, Which is a shame because they have a good selection. Corals seem to be fine shipped this way though, just have to acclimate them a lil longer. Report
March 13, 201313 yr Author comment_522486 It isa shame they do seem to get fish no one else has available. I was going to order some other fish off him but am very hesitant now. Report
March 13, 201313 yr comment_522487 Why are you not willing to provied a name of the company? I would hate to buy something from a shop and find out it came the same way, when your recomendation would of stopped me instantly. Report
March 13, 201313 yr comment_522493 as a private seller i always use a 40 hour heat pack i have no idea why you would not. they are cheap and seem to work very well. Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_522571 Why are you not willing to provied a name of the company? I would hate to buy something from a shop and find out it came the same way, when your recomendation would of stopped me instantly. :iag: as long as you stick to the facts there is no risk in naming the shop - who knows, it might just help convince them that improvement is required? Report
March 14, 201313 yr comment_522572 It is a shame they do seem to get fish no one else has available. Who are they? Report
March 15, 201313 yr comment_522665 :iag: isn't one of the aims of this forum that members help each other out and give good advice which means letting us know who it was so the rest of us don't make the same mistake buying livestock from them??? Report
March 15, 201313 yr comment_522667 Well i got mine from aquaworld so im assuming these guys got theres from the same as they sent mine in the same way bags of water instead of heat packs Report
April 4, 201313 yr Author comment_524117 I have just been informed that people have been going into Hollywoods saying it was them that did this. Id just like to make it very clear that it was NOT Hollywoods. I have had nothing but great service from the guys at Hollywoods and their shipping to Chch has always been on time and well packaged. If people are really concerned feel free to pm me but I cant post who it was on a public forum. Thanks for the advice from everyone. Report
April 4, 201313 yr comment_524153 If you want it sent with a heat pack then just ask. I did and that is what I get :thup: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.