Advice wanted: (Guppy) Fish eating fish

JaSa

Hi there.

I always have too many guppies from my various breeding projects. Therefore looking for a fish that is not too big in size but comes with a BIG appetite for little fish.

In the past I had Belonesox belizanus but like most fish he is a big No-No in NZ. So if you can give me some ideas what to use that would be cool.

Thanks,

JaSa

Thank you guys for your help :)

I was more thinking about a fish that can handel adult guppies - should have mentioned that in my first posting, sorry. I normaly raise 2-3 batches of fry, separate the females from the males and leave them alone for 3-6 month. After that I select what fish I will use for the next generation. The guppies I have left over are therefore fully grown...

The Butterfly fish looks promising. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

JaSa

• 2 weeks later...

Lol @ blueether:

I only managed to give you ONE lot and you still stuck with them? Must be very fertile, eyh? I have now way more tanks so you can imagine how much are floating around atm.... How are the Leopard Fish doing?

@leetric0:

I have probably 100 - 200 that have to go if you want. Blond x Albino, Asia Blue, Wild Type, Blond, ordinary Gray ones, ... all mixed up. Let me know...

Cheers,

JaSa

yeh JaSa they are still throwing out the fry. The grey/wild type are being fed to the kokopu and bullies just keeping the blond fry - and getting too many of them.

The Leopard fish are doing ok, looks like the female is about to drop soon, I think it will be her first batch.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

sorry to bring up this old topic again...

Butterfly fish is not really an option since they tend to concentrate on the surface and wont touch the fish hiding at the bottom. The other way round the feeder fish learn very fast that it is safe near the ground. Not ideal...

The oscar would be an option but I can only provide the following tank space:

150 x 30 x 25 = 112ltr

or

90 x 50 x 25 = 112ltr

And from all I have read this is not enough for one of these. Any opinions / experiences on that?

Cheers,

JaSa

Was about to recommend a polypterus but the tank's too small :( (220L with a good footprint the bare minimum for a delhezi) 112L doesn't really offer much. I'm not really sure if there's anything big enough to eat guppies that'll fit in a 112L. Several fish may eat the youngest but not juveniles/adults.

Just get a salvini cichlid. Stays small (6 inch would be a large male), nice colour, aggressive predator.

Could get a pair of pictus cats, they will hit the guppies hard. Entertaining fish.

Sounds good.

Will the salvini be okay with only a 30cm high tank?

Cheers,

JaSa

Axolotls are cheap and don't require heating and a medium sized one would be happy as Larry in 120ltr setup for quite some time. The cold water slows the guppies down as well. Its how I've disposed of my ugly guppies and deformed fish for a while now.

Good idea - Thank you :)

The room is heated so doesn't really matter. At this stage will probably go for the salvini.

• 2 weeks later...