Where to get asian arowana from?

tetra_nz

I quess if someone is serious interested in the fish they would go and view it as for that type of money I would not be buying a fish blind.

Good opportunity to get a nice fish as u don't see them often and a very high risk import given the price.

Are these anything to do with the ones on trademe? .... the guy is trying to sell the fish for $3k+...

The current bid is within 15% of the reserve price

Current bid: - $3,500

It's over 4000 dollars. :slfg:

Edit: I made a big miscalculation :)

So far he seems unwilling to share any info about the fish, just keeps telling people to come view it, which is impossible to do without breaching TradeMe's T&Cs. I certainly wouldn't drop $3k on a "red" arowana without knowing anything about its origins, especially given that it looks more yellow/gold in the pics...

without paying TMe fees and no records of sales so no risk of getting caught for not paying taxes?

That covers about 99% of hobbyist/breeders who sell multiple times and don't end up paying taxes

Nice fish but i read somewhere they only live for about 8 years. lot of money. i quess its like buying a car

I quizzed my accountant wife on this and she said it is a bit of a grey area, but quoted this after a brief search of some accountant-y website;

The courts have held that a person is probably running a business if: 1. the activity is carried out in an organised and coherent way, and 2. the person is intending to make a profit.

A hobby is an activity conducted primarily for private pleasure or recreation. The hobbyist is not interested in making a profit. They may sell goods, but any sales are of secondary importance.

Unless you're doing it on a scale where you make an actual profit over and above the related expenses I wouldn't think you need to declare the income, unless there was a loss to offset against other earnings. I would suspect that there would be a reasonable profit on the Asian arowanas being sold though (but that is just a slightly educated guess) and if he has imported them with the intention of on-selling then it wouldn't fall under the "hobby" category. However, if he had lost a fish or two in transit it could easily offset any money made.

• 7 months later...