Goldfish to big for tank?

sandaz

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have had goldfish for about 4 years now.

I was talking to the fish guy at the local pet shop and mentioned that my goldfish just seems to keep growing even though I was told it will know when to stop when tank is too small(20 litre). He advised me to post something on here as many passionate goldfish lovers would be willing to give me some advise, but that I should possibly look at letting it go to a bigger tank. It is currently ~14-15cm long including tail, and I've always thought it has the most beautiful flowing tail I've ever seen on a goldfish.

Any ideas?

Hiya, 20 litres, i would say it is too small for your fish. he sounds like a real beauty.

For goldfish ideally they would be much happier outside in a pond, but not everyone can have a pond. An upgrade of tank of at least 100+ litres ... but bigger is better for the size of the fish, I guess you will have to get the size you have room for and can afford, and bigger tanks are alot easier to keep clean - keep an eye on trademe, you can usually find nice and affordable setups - i would recommend a tank of at least 100 litres no smaller.

I've just bought a 350 litre tank but are going to put tropical fish in it. So won't be upsizing this tank. Sounds like I'm better off letting it go to a new home then? I've got another smaller fish in it who follows it around religiously, so probably would have to let them both go at the same time?

just seems to keep growing even though I was told it will know when to stop when tank is too small(20 litre).

Yeah, because that's what they do. They keep growing until they're made sick, stunted and then killed by the too small tank and poor water conditions. This "It will know when to stop" is basically a lie told by fish stores to sell fish to people who don't want to spend the money to properly house their fish.

Hi Sandaz, you have been given typical wrong information about goldfish requirements so it is good you are willing to rehome it somewhere larger. Try offering it in the trade and exchange here or put it on Trademe. Please not you can't advertise it in both places at once :wink:

He's a lovely looking fish and I would take him myself if I lived in your area. He would love my pond I am sure. I have similar looking goldfish in there. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding him a new, more suitable, home if he's free :gigl:

I would also like to congratulate you on not buying a marine clownfish, just like Nemo!, as so many did after the movie came out :roll:

yea i don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned that goldfish have a natural habitat of tropical waters (east asia)just because we keep them in cold water doesn't mean they cant go back to tropical i know a few people who have them in tropical tanks and they are much more active than the sluggish cold water

just be careful what other fish you put in they are like any other fish you buy (to a extent) because they will usually eat any fish that will fit in their mouth

so you defiantly don't have to part ways with it

just raise the temperature in the tank slowly to get it use to warmer waters and your good to go (the safety rate of doing this is no faster than 1c per hour (tho Ive done it much faster than that and never had a problem)

WOW i am shocked that people here are advising that it is ok to keep cold water fish in tropical conditions!!!!! That advise is just as bad as the petshop telling her that her fish will stop growing

i certainly wouldn't do it and i would never tell someone I know that it's ok.

Yea sure they may seem like they are doing ok, but when i had my fish in the fishroom (controlled heated room) for the short time we were upgrading the pond, my fish were stressed out, gasping etc ... I was constantly putting blocks of ice trying to keep the temp down, fans over the tank etc...

:facepalm:

Um Mel, maybe you should do some reading online before you say keeping goldfish in a heated tank is not a good thing and that we are giving bad advice, I have heard of a lot of people keeping them successfully in tanks with temps upto 28c, most tropical tanks will be around 24c which is no more than your pond heats up to on a hot summer day.

Your goldfish were probably stressed and gasping for air because you didn't cycle the tank and didn't put enough oxygen in there with them, nothing to do with temp, did you think of that?

Maybe next time you want to say that someone's advice is wrong you might want to back up your theory with some facts or evidence.

WOW i am shocked that people here are advising that it is ok to keep cold water fish in tropical conditions!!!!! That advise is just as bad as the petshop telling her that her fish will stop growing

i certainly wouldn't do it and i would never tell someone I know that it's ok.

Yea sure they may seem like they are doing ok, but when i had my fish in the fishroom (controlled heated room) for the short time we were upgrading the pond, my fish were stressed out, gasping etc ... I was constantly putting blocks of ice trying to keep the temp down, fans over the tank etc...

:facepalm:

sorry mel im a little skeptical of what your saying, i know you have had alot of experience with fish and respect what you say but i have seen a number of times gold fish in tropical water usually around 27-28c

and being from a tropical climate in the first instance it would make sense that they would be fine in tropical tanks

since they were gasping im inclined to think that they might of not had enough oxygen in there tank and that is a common problem in fish rooms

gold fish are rated one of the highest oxygen consumers of all the fresh water species so im quite inclined that may have been your problem also how long did you take to increase the fish from a cold outdoor pond to a warm indoor tank?

im not saying your wrong because as you know every fish is different and reacts differently to different changes in life so it may well have been the case with your fish but all other instances other than yours the fish have been quite happy in tropical tanks

Yes i have also seen alot of photos of how the asians keep there fish and how they get sold, in the wild is a different story though usually in fresh flowing water that are highly oxygenated so I would say the higher temps wouldn't effect them .... but in a tank is a different story.

So you're telling sandaz that it is ok to put her fish into a tropical climate, without telling her to increase oxgyen and flow.????

Um Mel, maybe you should do some reading online before you say keeping goldfish in a heated tank is not a good thing and that we are giving bad advice, I have heard of a lot of people keeping them successfully in tanks with temps upto 28c, most tropical tanks will be around 24c which is no more than your pond heats up to on a hot summer day.

Your goldfish were probably stressed and gasping for air because you didn't cycle the tank and didn't put enough oxygen in there with them, nothing to do with temp, did you think of that?

Maybe next time you want to say that someone's advice is wrong you might want to back up your theory with some facts or evidence.

FYI my tank was cycled had alot of aeration - my fishroom is kept at a constance temp of 24 I heat the room not the tanks. The tank was at exactly the same temp as my pond before putting them in - I was trying to maintain that tank at 20 with the help of alot of ice blocks and fans blowing over the surface.

there is a saying in here that was said along time ago ... there is a difference between " just surviving to thriving" sure the fish will survive, but in my experience it won't thrive.