any difference with aragonite, oytster shell and marble chip

henward

I think I used marble chip in my Malawi tank. The one you get from stone and water world anyway. Did the trick and was really easy to clean! Just gave it a stir up every time I did a water change - would settle really quickly also instead of being blown around and sucked up the filter like silica sand. Did give a quite a higher pH than oyster shell/grit which I imagine aragonite would do also. Tank with oyster shell sat around 7.2 while marble chip would sit closer to 8 :)

looking forsomething to permanently put in my sump not substrate.

wtih in the bio media to raise ph,

jsut ofund my ph ridiculously low, causing my arowana scales to chip.

it has not lost its appetite nor being active, other fish are ok but realoly needs to be higher.

so, i was thinking for space and efficiency, aragonite or oyster shell

where does one get oyster shell or aragonite in bulk?

Why not coral rubble? (stuff people use for SW tanks)

Pieces are big enough for water to pass through and it's super porous so you can use it as a media and it would serve as bio media as well as contribute to hardness/pH.

You can buy bags of it at HFF. You pay pr kg.

Why not coral rubble? (stuff people use for SW tanks)

Pieces are big enough for water to pass through and it's super porous so you can use it as a media and it would serve as bio media as well as contribute to hardness/pH.

You can buy bags of it at HFF. You pay pr kg.

+1

even just a piece of coral rock inside the tank as an ornament helps keep the PH up

That chamber I will put it on will suit rough and high flow media.... I think coral bits is a winner!

Thanks!

That's mostly what I use in my filters. The handfuls of oyster grit work, but they make a bit more of a mess if you don't have them in a bag. And I had bags of coral fingers and bits left over from when I had a marine. :)