What to do around Nelson/Takaka

David R

We're planning a short break in Feb with a few days in Wellingon drinking as much craft beer as possible, then onto the Nelson/Takaka area for a bit of R&R and outdoorsy type stuff. Keen to do some hiking, swimming, maybe kayaking or fishing. I know there's a few Nelson locals on here so any recommendations, must-see or must-avoid tips would be great!

Certainly going to check out Pupu Springs, and the Mussel Inn pub/brewery, haven't got much else on the agenda yet.

There is so much of that sort of stuff over there the possibilites are endless!

Try Golden Bay Kayaks. Trip Advisor talks about them here

Wharariki Beach and Cape Farewell - do a trip to Farewell Spit.

Wainui Falls

Kaituna Track

There are walks and things to do everywhere.

Unfortunately, the Salisbury Swing Bridge was destroyed in flooding a wee while ago and the Mapua Aquarium burned to the ground &c:ry .

plenty of craft beers up there try mussel inn in takaka , founders organic brewery at founders park in nelson redwood cellars appleby. a few places i liked to visit when i lived there were chandrakirti tibetian buddist mediation centre - interesting place nice garden on a hill. source of the riwaka river cold clean water coming out of a cave lots of native bush on the way nice picnic area. in golden bay the cobb dam is pretty cool as well as pupu springs and wainui falls

HA! If only you were allowed to swim there, would be a dream to snorkel in...

I snorkled in spring and down the stream back in 2000 when it was still allowed.. it was really cool (and cold).. lots of freshwater crayfish (forgot maori name) and trout (from fish farm nearby I guess)

Big swiss lady asked if she could borrow my spring wetsuit. I was polite and said yes thinking she will realize it wont fit her. I was wrong... not sure how but she managed to squeeze into it and since then have been too big for me.. Lesson learned: Don't lend your wetsuit to a large swiss lady! :facepalm: