Felt pens

Caryl

Now listen up you young ones! I am just having a laugh and a trip down memory lane. My age will really show here. I was reading an advert that offers a pack of 12 felt pens for $1.99.

I can remember when felt pens were new, hard to get, and very expensive (and others, yet even older, here will remember using slates and chalk at school :bggrn: ). Only one girl had a pack of felt pens in my class and that was because her dad had gone to the USA on business and brought them back for her. She was the envy of every other kid in the class! That would have been when I was about 7. :dnc1: (I also remember when biros became available. Before that we had to use ink from ink wells. Boys were always doing naughty things with the ink, including dipping girls' long plaits in them. Computers weren't invented either!)

wikipedia has this to say about them...

Lee Newman patented a felt-tipped marking pen in 1910.[3] However, markers of this sort began to be popularized with the sale of Sidney Rosenthal's Magic Marker which consisted of a glass tube of ink with a felt wick. By 1958 use of felt-tipped markers was commonplace for a variety of applications such as lettering, labeling, and creating posters.[4] The year 1962 brought the development of the modern fiber-tipped pen (in contrast to the marker, which generally has a thicker point) by Yukio Horie of the Tokyo Stationery Company.

Ahhhh memories :sage:

it's all about the pens that smell like something depending on their colour.

at school i was never allowed to use pen because my handwriting was so bad. only the good kids got pens. only the cool kids had twink, and super roller rulers.

i'm glad i finished school before they stopped selling pies in the tuck shop. all they have at my daughters school is sushi.

We had scratch n sniff stickers :lar:

We had bottles of twink before they invented twink pens. We would ask to borrow one particular nerd's twink, she would throw it to us, we would use it, paint the bottle with twink and throw it back so she would catch it and get it all over her hands. She never learned not to lend it to us. :dunno:

I still have nightmares about writing with the old pen and ink left handed. The nibs wear to suit a right handed person and when a lefty tries to use them they dig into the paper and flick blobs of ink all over the page. I was greatful for two things: One was being allowed to use ball point pens and also realising that the incorrectly wired right handers were put on this world to teach us normally wired lefties patience, tolerence and understanding.

Because I actually write with my right I am considered right handed but I do almost everything else left handed (except softball. Tennis I play left handed but not softball - go figure). Kicking a ball or jumping over stuff I don't care which foot is used.

I learned guitar right handed as it was easier.

Had trouble as a child using scissors though as they did not make them usable either way back then.

I knit left handed (dad had to teach me as he is a leftie) and, as a Brownie, I had to set a table as part of my Golden Hand badge. I did it beautifully, except left handed. I was passed as the leader said it was the right way around for me.

When I first started using a computer mouse I used my left hand but it was such a nuisance switching sides after others had used it I trained myself to use it right handed.

When finally getting felt pens (I was 11) I used them right handed but if I was asked to write on the blackboard (no whiteboards in them days either) I often as not used my left. I could also mirror write - that is writing the same thing with both hands at once, starting in the centre and writing one forwards and the other backwards away from each other. Not sure if I can still do it though :dunno:

I was never forced to use my right hand (unlike my dad who got the ruler over the knuckles) and actually sat next to another leftie.

My mother was a leftie and her and I had special places at the table to avoid the righties. I learned to use chopsticks with my right hand because I was told it was very rude to use the left. When shooting off the back of a ute I was always on the right corner. Chainsaws are very dangerous used left handed because if they throw back the chain lands on your head. Had heaps of blisters from scissors.