initial water in new tank question

aquadude

Since having troublke getting hold of rabid for his offer of tank water

I have read that fill tank of tap water - add water ager - have pump filter cirlutating for at least 12 ( twelve) hours before adding fish

Is this correct or any suuestions greatly appreciated.

Since having troublke getting hold of rabid for his offer of tank water

I have read that fill tank of tap water - add water ager - have pump filter cirlutating for at least 12 ( twelve) hours before adding fish

Is this correct or any suuestions greatly appreciated.

it will work, just do water changes with aged water every few days till tank has cycled

as said goldfish are good waste producers

Update:

I went to the local pet store and they sold me

A bottle of cycle

Nutrafin aquaplus

I have sieved the new stones - added tap water - added nutrafinplus at the recommended doseage - added the recommended dosage of cycle - now with the recommended repeating of this cycle every 7 days for two weeks - then adding fish in a months time but minimum of two weeks

Has anyone had much experience with this product

I have never used chemicals myself as I believe slow and steady the natural way is the best. It has seemed to me that such additives do not increase the set-up time by much.

Once you have added the stuff, you must also add something for the bacteria to eat or they will die before you add the fish.

I hate to tell you but there is no use adding cycle if you are not going to add fish straight away. Cycle adds bacteria to the filter which aids the cycling process. You need to add something ie fish that produce waste at the same time otherwise the bacteria will die as there is nothing to feed them. Add a bristlenose or two depending on the tank size, they are good at producing waste. Guppies tend not to be the best fish for newly established tanks anymore.

Oh, and Aquadude the petshop did not see you coming but perhaps they should have explained how to use the cycle etc a bit more. Did you tell them you were new to this?