Coldwater Iwagumi

SamH

_1060054.jpg

Here's a sneak peak at my up and coming project, a cold water iwagumi aquarium. In the context of an aquascape, the term "iwagumi" simply refers to using only rocks as hardscape material and only low growing plants in the scape. My project is to create an iwagumi style aquarium using rocks, hairgrass and moss. Fauna will be white cloud mountain minnows and shrimp. The aquarium measures 60x30x30cm and has custom lids to fit the filter pipes. I created the hanging light hood myself and it contains two CFL fittings, the filter is an Eheim 2213, pressurized CO2 will be used with an inline diffuser and substrate will be sand on top of aquabasis. Wish me luck!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up some rocks and substrate from Stone and Water World today. The substrate is red coffee grit and the rocks are "moss rocks".

Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think.

_1070027b.jpg

_1070028b.jpg

_1070029b.jpg

_1070031b.jpg

_1070032b.jpg

_1070033b.jpg

The photos don't show the immense depth and detail of the large rock sadly, 'scape 6. is just to see what it's like without the large rock.

I know you have not asked for opinions

Here's a few potential 'scapes I was playing around with, let me know what you think.

Sure I have! Opinions and constructive feedback are good for developing and making sure the final layout the best it can be. I like 3 too, thanks for the feedback guys. Any reasons why you choose the 'scape you did? :)

Been playing around this morning, just one scape but I'm really liking it. Also, my camera is a moody thing so I used Mum's camera instead :roll:

IMG_6693b.jpg

IMG_6694b.jpg

Here's where it gets interesting, the shape of the rock creates a natural bank at the back which I could use to do a tank like this with the plants growing at that height.

IMG_6695b.jpg

IMG_6696b.jpg

IMG_6697b.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

it looks good but there would be dead spots down the front in the corners where the current wasn't as strong, the crud would collect there and not necessarily get washed around to the back.

Not sure if that would be a concern but just saying.