aqua nano 40 55ltr reef build

Wellydave

hey guys new light is absolutely awesome! makes the tank look so much better! just waiting for the camera to charge so i can get some decent photos the iphone just cant do it justice. seems like all the new corals are settling in so hopefully get some nice shots today.

as for stock im thinking of putting 1 or 2 peppermint shrimp in and 2 small percular clowns and mabie a blue legged hermit or 2. this tank is more of an experiment to see how i go b4 converting my 680ltr fw tank to marine early next year.

also if anyone around the wellington region has any small coral frags please get in contact with me im looking for zoos mainly want as many different colors as posible but im interested in any frags people have so let me know whats out there also shipping from out of wellington is fine so nz wide hit me up :D

cool. :thup:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right got the camera out today and tried to get some nice photos TRIED being the key word haha

new light and controller :D:D

IMG_3655_zps6ffca9a1.jpg

fts with all lights on %100 and sps on blue

IMG_3670_zps639ddcd3.jpg

fts with only blues, fiji purples and arctic blues on %100 and sps on blue

IMG_3674_zpsbdc700e7.jpg

hammer

IMG_3659_zpsc07264a4.jpg

hammer under blues

IMG_3676_zps6bd7ce6e.jpg

blue and green trumpets under blues

IMG_3675_zpsc78b57bb.jpg

green trumpets under full light

IMG_3671_zps013ae741.jpg

blue trumpets full light

IMG_3661_zps618d7d28.jpg

zoos

IMG_3652_zps6214574a.jpg

right side

IMG_3673_zpsf98ace23.jpg

top view zoos

IMG_3666_zps0c9f1812.jpg

another top tank shot

IMG_3667_zps4c401b2c.jpg

close ups

IMG_3660_zpsfba9eb35.jpg

IMG_3663_zps669ae30d.jpg

well quick update ive had a algae outbreak! what can i do to counteract this? im guessing my lights might be on for too long or something? heres some pics let me know your suggestions. i also brought a new frag today on the way home not shure what it is so let me know if you know what it is

IMG_1501_zpsadaa301f.jpg

IMG_1502_zpsfe3dd59f.jpg

IMG_1503_zpsb86006b5.jpg

Hi, have you tested you phosphate and nitrate since the algae appeared. Could be that your phosphate has spiked.

How have you setup the controller for the lights, times for each of the light groups?

Sorry questions like this are usually followed by more questions :slfg:

What are the water parameters?

How have you setup your filter/sump system and are you using any removers (gfo, sulfur, zeolite, etc)?

How did you cured your live rock?

How long did your aquarium cycle before you introduced the invertebrates and corals?

What is in you clean-up crew (snails, crabs, etc)?

Cheers

Hi, have you tested you phosphate and nitrate since the algae appeared. Could be that your phosphate has spiked.

How have you setup the controller for the lights, times for each of the light groups?

Sorry questions like this are usually followed by more questions :slfg:

What are the water parameters?

How have you setup your filter/sump system and are you using any removers (gfo, sulfur, zeolite, etc)?

How did you cured your live rock?

How long did your aquarium cycle before you introduced the invertebrates and corals?

What is in you clean-up crew (snails, crabs, etc)?

Cheers

hello there its starting to reside now after a few water changes and a good scrubbing. i think it was probably phosphates since it really went mental after i fed the corals...(probably over fed them tbh haha)

as for lighting i have sps bar on blue at 0730 off at 2230 blues on at 0830 and off at 2030 and whites on at 0930 off at 1930 is that about right?

water parameters im not shure i havnt actualy tested them in a few weeks as all was going well and it seemed to have gone through its cycle

as for filtration it has a little sump type thing built into the back of the tank with 3 chambers there are no removers in there i just have filter floss in the first chamber some live rock rubble in the second chamber and the ehiem compact 1000 return pump and a heater in the third chamber

i brought the live rock from the lfs so was already cured and it came with a whole bunch of hitch hikers on it (snails,worms,starfish,crabs) so they were all added straight away with the live rock, i have since removed the crabs as stated earlyer in this thread but unfortunately they both died b4 i decided what to do with them

i left it to cycle for around a month or so with just the live rock and whatever came along with it b4 adding my first corals and i wont be adding any live stock for a while and plan to get it nice and full of corals b4 i do

as for clean up crew all thats in there at the moment is probably around 3 medium turbos, 5 smaller turbos and 10 - 20 tiny turbos haha but im looking for a couple hermits and a peppermint shrimp or 2 at the moment none of my lfs's have ither of these currently

also moved the zoas down to below the trumpets as they started looking a bit bleached i think they were too close to the light but seem fine now

yeah reputable brand i can trust and ive also seen on some of the other aquanano 40s around the net that people have converted have used them and been really happy with the results. its a bit over powered so have had to turn it down to half power but its awsome

• 3 weeks later...

right been a while since i updated this ive added quite a bit of coral since last time. but still battling algae! feels like im fighting a loosing battle but heres hoping now that the extra clean up crews been added i will start winning!

recently i added a new loc line dual nozzle so one is pointing straight ahead at the surface and one is pointing right so it flows behind the rock i also recently added 2 red legged hermits and already had around 5 - 6 turbos in the tank

today in the mail i recieved 3 new frags of zoas a orange tip green center a full fluro green and a mixed rock that have been added so arent opened in the photos and also got 2 astrea snails

today i also added some rowaphos and some purgen to the first chamber in the back so hopefully that mixed with the cc will get rid of this fugly algae all the corals have been sulking quite a bit recently as well which i think could be due to the excessive algae and it is getting me dishartened but im shure in time they will be back to there former glory my big rock of zoas has been sulking for around a week or so now with only a few heads opening during the day which had me worried so i gave it a fw dip and 2 bristle stars and around 3 or 4 bristle worms fell out it also had a reddy/pinkish looking sponge growing on the back that i removed which had a sort of brown jelly in the center not shure what it was but i didnt like the look of it so now its gone.

heres the photos let me know what yall think thanks!

p.s iphone photos so quality is a bit low

IMG_1533_zps991d4c6a.jpg

IMG_1535_zpse835adde.jpg

IMG_1536_zps4ed4b66b.jpg

IMG_1537_zps6c5ce14f.jpg

IMG_1538_zps894d6044.jpg

IMG_1539_zpsd97e71e4.jpg

IMG_1540_zps93cfbacc.jpg

yeah same here one of them looks quite sad tho when they guy sent the frags it was face down on the bottom of the bag and looks like some of the heads have been flattened so im hoping its going to be ok! and ill pass on the hermit now bud i think 2 will be fine for a tank this size thanks anyway tho

• 2 weeks later...

another few new pics taken today still have algae issues but after adding the purgen, rowaphos and carbon and twice weekly water changes and syphoning it up its definately starting to dissapear which is awsome most of the corals are looking much better and less sulk so im guessing that all the algae was agitating them one of my frags i brought off trademe (radio active green zoas) still hasnt opened up fully but it definately is trying haha unfortuantly its spent a little while face down in the sand after falling off the rock (still havnt glued or puttyd any of them down yet since im still not 100% i like there positions anyway heres some pics

IMG_1613_zpsff717465.jpg

IMG_1610_zps497ddbbb.jpg

IMG_1611_zps43d07456.jpg

IMG_1612_zps170fbb7f.jpg

IMG_1606_zpse8c27cef.jpg

IMG_1607_zps345853ea.jpg

IMG_1608_zps9f252940.jpg

:cophot: :spop:

cheers dude

Can't wait to see it without the algae dude, I'm wondering if the lights may be to powerful and too close to the water level?

haha you and me both!! and yeah i was thinking that may have been a issue so ive turned them right down to sps bar on 1030 - 2030 blues on 1130 - 1930 whites on 1330 - 1730 and since its a hours ramp up / ramp down the whites are only on full power for 2 hours and the blues are only on full power for 6 thinking of turning them down to 4 hours full power untill the algae go's away

Nothing to do with lights, this tank was started in january right, so its less than 2 months old, full of corals, and getting bad algae breakouts - no surprise there.

Really, you should only be adding corals now. Reef tanks are all about patience.

yeah i know i know haha but i got a bit excited :thup: so any way gooood news ive been working long hours the last week so havnt actually had a chance to look at the tank with the lights on but got today off work and have just looked in the tank and all of the daitoms and hair algae are basically gone now!! woop tank looks 1 million times better now will update with some pics tonight have spotted a bit of bubble algae this morning so i will hopefully tackle that today if i get a chance other than that its happy days :D:D