Office Water Cooler / Chiller for fish tank

aotealotl

In another forum I did read that someone did convert an Office Water Chiller to a fish tank cooler. anyone done that here before ? or what are you using to keep your water temperature down ? are you using ice packs or bottles ? my Axolotl tank water temperature at the moment is still ok in the 15° to 18° degrees range but it can get very hot here in Naseby and the house I am living in has everything but any insulation (which means I will probably have to heat my Axolotl tank in winter... :oops: ). Anyway, 2nd hand Office Water Chillers seems to be cheap compared to a high end Fish Tank Cooler and maybe worth a try. your thoughts ?

sorry, should have mentioned that, tank size is 1200x360x450 and a 2nd one with same size is in preparation (for Upland Bullies). ok, they are or will be only 2/3 full with water but a fan will probably not be enough.

are you using a proper Aquarium chiller ? what brand ? where did you get it from ? or are you using a DIY one ?

i had a theory that i haven't seen mentioned yet. which involves pumping water through a long length of tubing which is coiled up inside a fridge or freezer, then back to the tank. water passing through the tube will be cooled down during its journey through the fridge.

similar to the solar heating systems people use on their swimming pool with the coils of black hose on the roof and water pumped through that.

anyway. just an idea in my head, thought i'd explore it at some stage in my life.. i miss keeping natives but i want to sort out a chiller before i attempt to keep them again.

I have a 1/2 hp resun chiller on my 430 l native tank that I got second hand for (I think) $350. this is an older style one but still works well.

with the large surface area of a tank1200 long you might be surprised at how cool evaporation could keep it.

I think LA has tried the hose in a fridge one, another idea is to sink a long pipe into the ground or a tall pipe (4" + dia.) down a few meters...

calling LA - advise please? is it worth attempting this hose in the fridge idea?

yes have done it

coiled a long length of thick walled alkathene into a drum of water in the fridge

drilled holes in wall of fridge for hose to pass through

the length of hose, flow rate and volume of tank are interconnected as to temp you will achieve