NZ freshwater shrimp questions

SamH

Somewhere not in NZ. :) Or they were saltwater.

pretty sure not saltwater, i was buying my first tank and i didnt know yet that shrimps were not allowed in nz.. i just thought they were expensive.. i pretty sure now that they were the red cherry shrimps with small white dots... i know coz my girl told me they looked nice being polka dotted. they only had 2 as well..

im heading out to catch some more shrimp this weekend, if anyone from auckland wants to join me :)

i'm using them as live food for a few cichlids i'm trying to grow out fast

ahhh read too late.. didnt have anything to do saturday morning.. where did you go?

pretty sure not saltwater,i pretty sure now that they were the red cherry shrimps with small white dots... i know coz my girl told me they looked nice being polka dotted. they only had 2 as well..

Something like these, maybe?

fire-shrimp.jpg

Hi guys and galls!

Kinda stumbled across this fantastic site while trying to find Amano shrimp in New Zealand (ha ha turns out you can't)

Sooo was wondering were abouts one could find these critters around Dunedin?

I have scoured the forum and think i have read every thread i can find that mentions shrimp and seems every one is either finding them around Auckland or Hamilton.

Maybe they just don't live in the south? if so it appears i live in probably one of the few places in the world were i cant have shrimp lol :dunno:

Any info would be great!

Cheers

Aaron

I have scoured the forum and think i have read every thread i can find that mentions shrimp and seems every one is either finding them around Auckland or Hamilton.

Maybe they just don't live in the south? if so it appears i live in probably one of the few places in the world were i cant have shrimp lol :dunno:

Any info would be great!

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron :wave:

In theory I think you should be able to find them, but I am having the same problems - found them in the first place I looked in Whangarei, but have tried about 10 different likely spots around Wellington and haven't seen one!

I have read that the further south you go the lower the maximum altitude they can be found at, implying that they dont like the cold so much, which might impact their numbers in general as you go down the country.

lots of knowledgable people on here though, so hopefuly someone can help you out :D

Hi Barry

I know that they can be found in the south island as I have read reports of them found in Invercargill and have seen a Canterbury fishing guide that uses shrimp flies on lowland rivers/streams. You will want to find a slower moving waterway with plenty of in-stream vegetation, grass/cress/etc.

turns out most of my shrimp were disappearing not just because of the cichlids eating them, but because my cat was catching them. seriously! that darn pussy! always ruining things.

i have recently put a heater in said tank and kept it around 28c. i saw a live shrimp in there today and yesterday. that makes a good 2 months it's been in there for.

gonna get some more soon and put them into the same tank now it's heated and see how they do. will take the cichlids out before i do.

• 11 months later...