1 beef heart, trimmed of sinew and gristle and cut into 3 x 3-inch pieces

Kosher Salt

Fresh ground black pepper

Roasted Golden Beets

Horseradish Vinaigrette

1 cup fresh chives cut into 1-inch batons

1 cup fresh parsley leaves

Fresh horseradish, for garnish

1. In a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic and thyme.

2. In a bowl, mix them with the wine, juice, and a splash of oil; let the flavors blend for 1 hour at room temperature before use.

3. Pour marinade over pieces of beef heart and marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Remove hearts and discard the marinade.

4. Preheat the grill or grill pan. Cooking over high heat is the key to proper carmelization which adds flavor and ensures proper grill marks.

5. Season the hearts with salt and pepper. Grill the hearts to medium-rare, about 3 minutes on each side depending on thickness.

6. For the salad, cut the beets into different shapes, such as rounds and quarters and place in a mixing bowl. Season the beets with salt and pepper and the horseradish vinaigrette. At the last minute add the chives and parsley and gently toss.

7. To serve, divide the salad among 8 warm salad plates or place on a large serving platter. Thinly slice the beef heart pieces against the grain and serve them warm over the salad. Garnish with grated horseradish and a drizzle of olive oil.

ROASTED GOLDEN BEETS

3 bunches baby golden beets, trimmed and washed

1 bunch thyme

1 bunch young and tender flat-leaf Italian parsley, leaves picked and washed

1 bunch chives

Splash extra-virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds

Kosher Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 cup water

2 heads garlic, split in half lengthwise

1 cup orange juice

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Place beets, thyme, split garlic heads and parsley stems in a non-reactive roasting pan. Then add orange juice, water, and a splash of olive oil, stirring to coat the beets evenly. Season the beets with fennel, salt, and pepper.

3. Cover the pan with aluminum and roast until the beets are tender, about 45 minutes. As if testing a cake, insert a knife into a beet. If it slides in and out easily, they�re done. Uncover and allow the beets to cool to room temperature. To remove the skins, take an old dish towel and rub the skins off gently, to keep the shape of the beets.

4. After they are peeled, store them in a airtight container in the refrigerator. They should last about a week. Don�t slice the beets until right before you need them; that will help keep them fresh, by not allowing them to be overexposed to oxygen.

Horseradish Vinaigrette

Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup Champagne vinegar

1/4 cup finely grated fresh horseradish

2 tablespoons orange juice

Kosher Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 cups pure olive oil

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1. In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, horseradish, orange juice salt.

2. Pour in pure olive oil while whisking to emulsify the vinaigrette.

3. Finish by adding the extra-virgin olive oil to the dressing. This will add a bit more fruit to the dressing and round out the heat from the horseradish. Adjust seasoning to taste.

4. Making a little extra is OK. Store the vinaigrette in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will last about a week, but it will definitely lose some of its punch.

P.S. recipe for fish or reptiles?

i put chopped ox heart in my stir frys. my flatmates think it's yum but i haven't told them it's heart.

lambs hearts are good roasted especially if you pack the aorta and pulmonary artery with garlic and rosemary.

as for my fish, i chop it up into little pieces, and wrap little chunks in glad wrap and freeze. when comes time to feed, drop the frozen ball into a cup of water, let it defrost, take the glad wrap off and let the fish have it.

lol sorry didn't mean to give you scary mental images!

people often add veges and all sorts of stuff into their ox heart mixtures. i don't bother because my fish get all the nutrients they need from their staple fish food (hikari gold, carnivore, etc) and i use the ox heart as more of a treat when they have been good fishies or when i am feeling nice.

fish should not be fed solely on ox heart.

99% Ox heart

1% H2o

Remove fat, slice ox heart Into strip or chuck dice

Drain out as much blood as you can before serving fish.

Tips of the week:

Feed once or twice a week only, do mince Ox heart if you want to do a water change in the next following day.

At the moment I just keep it quite simple

ox heart

Salmon

Spinach(boiled)

banana

multi vitamins

flake food

In the past I have used all sorts including

sheep hearts

chicken hearts

Liver

broccoli

peas

carrots

mussels

prawns

shrimp

paprika

calcium carbonate

depends on the fish you want it for?

but for my clown loaches, bichirs and discus, i made the following.

500g beef heart

300g shrimp (no shell, though sh ell is ok if you have a good blender)

fresh garlic, 1 to 2 bulbs

50g massivore (high quality pellet will do)

50 grams of spirulina powder

1 to 2 blended courgette

using a food proc, you get a better finer mince and the prawns actually bind the ingredients together in this method.

i freeze ito rolls in glad wrap.

sticks together well.

but any beef or liver mix will dirty the water quicker.

lol sorry didn't mean to give you scary mental images!

people often add veges and all sorts of stuff into their ox heart mixtures. i don't bother because my fish get all the nutrients they need from their staple fish food (hikari gold, carnivore, etc) and i use the ox heart as more of a treat when they have been good fishies or when i am feeling nice.

fish should not be fed solely on ox heart.

I thought I might try spirulina flakes just to bind it a bit. What about cucumber if courgettes are ok? I washed and boiled the meat - lambs fry and hearts, forgot to cut the fatty bits off but have a hungry cat standing by :wink:

So, are your fishies bad a lot? :cr10: