where to by water storage barrel?

terry17

Farming supply stores.

I also got a number of 30L barrels from Resene many years ago. They used to import paint powder from Italy in them. Don't know if they still do but a quick rinse and they were good to go. They were leak proof once the lids were clipped in place, and had good, solid, carry handles. I am still using them 20 years later.

Knowing your location would probably help. ;)

I got a 200L food grade barrel from Barrys Barrels (http://www.bb.net.nz) that had been used for importing olives, gave it a good scrub and its been fine (pic). The cost of shipping it if you're outside Auckland would probably make it uneconomical though. I think you're right about the 1000L pallet ones being used for chemicals, I haven't found one that hasn't been. They are damn expensive to buy brand new too, cheaper to buy a 1000L water tank.

I got mine from a swimming pool. They get soap delivered in them. I spent about 3 months rinsing them, and after testing for everything I could think of I decided they were safe to use. I've now been using them for well over 3 years without a problem.

Depending on the chemical they stored, I wouldn't have a problem using them, so long as they were cleaned well, of course.

Go to RD1, Wrightson, Farmlands, ... and ask for a returned 200l drum. Pay $5 in the social club and away you go. If you know a farmer he will probably pay you to take them away!

The drums had acid for the milk plant in them and after triple rins they are good to use. There are 50, 60, 100 and 200l drums out there...

JaSa

those ones are good, just drop a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in to test it on the final rinse. any fizz and rinse again (or if you want to waste our test kit on it, use that.)

try ringing your local apiarists, they just use them for honey.

also just buy a few $10 fish bins from bunnings, 50L each.