Looking to work with Fish in Auckland region

Monzae

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound negative. I'm just a fish owner and I do want to see the care go into them. I know it's a bussiness but I'm hard working and caring, I don't stop till everything is done (I've been jokingly called OCD, I get it done, all done and the right way haha) I was not selected for the role at Animates which is ok, I'm not giving up and I'm not settling for less a job than is right for me. Some of these replies make me pretty sad, I'm only just old enough to work and the times I'm in are genuinely bad, I've heard many stories my father has told me about how upset he is with the way things have changed but now I'm seeing it first hand. I'm a hard worker so I will find the role I'm looking for and the place I'd be happy to work. Thanks for the support and words of wisdom, I'm going to step up the search and perhaps settle for high fuel costs.

I have also looked into volunteer work, couldn't find anything with SPCA. If anyone knows of some work, I'm happy to work volunteer in the mean time.

I am currently selling some items on Trademe trying to make a little money, as someone up there mentioned, I don't actually have much money right now and if I can get started on an income I would like to go study sometime, seems paper speaks louder than words and I would be happy to put in the time to do the schooling. Scooter is a good idea, my brother has one to get around and me and my other brother put in a bit to buy a cheap one, doesn't currently work right but my brother is a whiz with it and I expect I can ride a scooter around soon. Thanks

Only just able to start working? At 19? Unfortunately saying that you only want to work with animals is extremely restrictive. You have to be pretty flexible with your first jobs usually. I suggest you just try to get work within hospitality and customer service sectors - once you have some experience in serving the public you might find it easier to get jobs.

Everyone is finding cash dollar hard to find atm; problem is with young people who have to experience is that the employers don't want to take us on due to the fact that they then have to spend money on someone else to train us; so they prefer to take someone who already knows the gist of what's happening. Most of the fishy stuff you would like to do is based around mainly customer services - probably the best thing to get experience in.

HFF didn't seem interested in part time staff when I asked a couple of years ago; but they did take on fulltime workers. Worth a try since it's a quality establishment.

Hate to say it: Supermarket work.

It's lousy hours, lousy pay, and there's always a customer that you don't like.

When you can serve someone in a supermarket with a smile, and treat them like you actually want them to come back, THEN you know you've got everything you can get from the job and that it is time to move on.

I think it's an important stepping stone. But $7.49 /hour was nasty. Sadly, at the time (15yrs old), it seemed like good money.

personally i think your being a bit picky.

i work at a pet store in nelson.

im 18 and this is my 4th job.

i tried for a long time to get a job ive worked in hospitality and even cleaning.

once you have had some work experience it gets a lot easier.

when applying for a pet store i put my cv under the door of the un opened shop.

i had pictures of previous aquariums etc.

showing that you are very passionate is super important.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, still looking for work. I didn't mean to say I'm only looking for work with Animals, just my preference, I'd like to work with food just as much, a bakery or even a waiter would be great. I also don't mind warehouse type work, I enjoy lifting and running and had helped my father in the past with a fairly intensive warehouse job. I'm keeping an eye out for volunteer work too as that sounds awesome, I don't really need the money at the moment and would love to get some experience in an awesome charity like the SPCA. Thanks for all your help here, I'll just keep looking for opportunities.

Keep in mind that most jobs aren't advertised. Approach people. Hand in your CV to places, even if they're not advertising. Are you studying? What other skills do you have?

And at 19, you do need a job. The longer you leave it without doing paid employment the harder you'll find it is to get a job, and even if you don't need the money, start saving. You can't live off your parents forever, getting a job is the first step in becoming an independent adult.

Minimum wage is now like $16 an hour so your gonna get at least that. yes first stupidmarket i worked in was $5 an hour

Well I am horribly under paid then, and I thought I was doing good on $15 n hour.

I know it can be hard to find a job now, but the easiest way to find a job is to just hand your cv into every workplace around you that you can. trust me in that, last summer when I was looking for my first job I handed out about 50 CV's to places before I managed to get a job.

In the past i have found networking to be the best way to find work. So thats through friends and friends of friends. Dont give up, stay at it. You'll find something. I'm guessing you have also applied at all the local supermarkets?

Also a big thing to be aware of, its not always your skill set they are after... Its somebody that get on well with co workers or clients/customers. Im certain that's what just got me the job that i applied for a few weeks ago... i was up against people with more experience... and i virtually have zero in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...