Cutting perspex

livebearer_breeder

You could use a circular saw. Table saw would be best but skilly will do. More than likely you just have multi purpose blade so pull the blade right back in so it is only just penetrating through the perspex. This has the effect of changing the tooth angle and will mean the blade is more shaving through (like a ripping blade would) rather than a chipping through and wrecking your sheet. The use of guides will stop sideways movement which could also chip your sheet as well.

The other option you may have depending on what tools you have would be to use an angle grinder with a segmented diamond blade. Depending on the thickness of the sheet you could possibly run the risk of melting the perspex a little though.

the blades they use to cut it is like the blades used for melteca/melamine, they have flat paddle type teeth rather than the ripping style of a timber blade. i would cut it a little over size and tidy up the edge with a router if you want to use your skill saw.

I've used a jigsaw and fine toothed blade for cutting it, seemed to work reasonably well, but I ended up with all the half molten plastic dust collecting in the cut behind the blade and welding the piece back together. :slfg: Snapped apart easily and just needed some cleaning. With the normal solvent, a guide and some sanding it should probably be good enough for a small tank, I don't think I'd trust it for a big one though.

If it is perspex and not something else there is a perspex glue you could buy from a plastic supplier. It is perspex dissolved in ether so you may have to sign for it. Don't forget that ether was an old an old time anesthetic so use in a well ventilated place and perspex is explosively inflamable (hence it is not used as much as it used to be). If it is another plastic you will need to get the right glue.

• 4 weeks later...

Most often acrylic needs to be annealed after being cut to releave / equalise the cutting stress. The bigger and thicker the sheet the more important this is to do. The process involves heating the cut sheets to the annealing temperature in an oven for several hours and then cooling slowly (don't ask me what the temperature is or exactly how long - the duration probably changes for sheet size and thickness). If this is not done the Acrifix will effectively stress releave the edge only and can cause fracturing. This is especially important if you've drilled holes...