stone veneer as hardscape ....

henward

There is the Natural schist which i cant see any problem using but it is expensive. A lot of the stuff you might see around IE Elderado stone and the like is man made. Its basically made from concrete and oxides for colour. Glue used for Schist is basically mortar. For the man made stuff it is a mortar with some extra bonding additives. Im not sure on the safety aspects of using it in your tank with your fish but we do drink out of concrete tanks ourselves. I would imagine the lime would make your water pretty hard though.

I came across the same article awhile ago while I was studying diy backgrounds, only thing that put me off was the weight. On a tank the size you are planning though I don't think a couple of extra 100kgs will matter. 15mm glass should be able to take the force of that much rock no problems, as long as the stand will support it.

I came across the same article awhile ago while I was studying diy backgrounds, only thing that put me off was the weight. On a tank the size you are planning though I don't think a couple of extra 100kgs will matter. 15mm glass should be able to take the force of that much rock no problems, as long as the stand will support it.

Will silicone stick the rock on to the glass effectively Though? any special type silicone?

Stand will support extra weight problems...

Also I wanted bare bottom...will it look weird with that?

Funny that I looked at the same thing and started to do some research on it for my next project.Thats why I stuck river rocks to my small practise tank the other week as a bit of a trial and error process

I emailed Frank Muller a couple times and got some very quick and informative responses from him, that could be a good avenue to go down for info as well.

Will silicone stick the rock on to the glass effectively Though? any special type silicone?

Stand will support extra weight problems...

Also I wanted bare bottom...will it look weird with that?

As long as you let the silicone cure fully I don't see why not, also I would think you would use either aquarium safe glass silicone or that black plumber gunk stuff. Just ring a couple glaziers and ask them what they think?

I think it will still look real good with a bare bottom but would consider using stone tiles to make it look even more natural.