China

ExoticReptilesNZ

Long time, no forum.

For those who don't know me, I did a PhD on exotic reptiles in NZ (http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/bitstr ... sequence=1). Again, a big thank-you to those of you who took part in my Salmonella survey.

I've spent a large portion of this year in China doing native turtle conservation work (challenging in a culture that simply wants to eat them) as well as investigating the impact of introduced red-eared slider turtles on native species...

A few pics below.

Hope everyone and their herps are doing well.

DSC04895.jpg Markets.

DSCF3396.jpg Baby Reeves at University.

DSCF2983.jpg Big red-eared slider.

I find the best way to save a species is to eat it.

You get people who are more dedicated to breeding them and raising them, Worked with Tigers...

Fair enough. Red-eared sliders are rampant over there, but apparently the Chinese consider them "inferior" to the native (and endangered) species. Many more native species make it into the dinner pot, unfortunately.

Any ideas on how to change a long-ingrained, cultural way of thinking?

Fair enough. Red-eared sliders are rampant over there, but apparently the Chinese consider them "inferior" to the native (and endangered) species. Many more native species make it into the dinner pot, unfortunately.

Any ideas on how to change a long-ingrained, cultural way of thinking?

I am chinese, and i also find it disturbing. but then again i understand in a country where any food is food, well, you cant blame them in a way.

in saying that, therre are certain things that they do that are based on superstition.

tiger balls, even turtles i think are consumed for supernatural beliefs.

which is stupid.

the problem here is CULTURE, not race.

In my completely upfront opinion having seen that side of the culture and growing up in a modern western country and assimilating in it. I believe that the problem is any human groups that practice old 'customs and culture' are primitive.

this holds many societies back, asia is very bad with this, so is africa.

it stops progress.

china is quite modern yet in some ways not.

they are very smart in a lot of ways but still believe in superstition whcih is really an oxymoron.

how do you stop it?

easy - you set up what you could call a world police:)

ok maybe not easy.

Good points, Henward.

I found it really interesting that some animals were regarded as very special (i.e., swallows) and were automatically protected and revered, whereas other animals (i.e., turtles) have always been regarded as a food item. It's just how it is, and there is no easy way to change a long-standing and traditional aspect of a culture. Admittedly, I did have a few "Why am I bothering?" moments...China is a very challenging place to do turtle conservation, but a fascinating place as well. I am hoping to head back next year.

My sister has spent most of her life in Western Samoa were they also regard the sea turtles and eggs as food. They have been trying to get the message about not eating but protecting across and seem to have had a measure of success. They have been hammering the message into the kids at school and they go home and put a flea in mum and dads ear. She said things have improved a lot. The churches have a big influence there as well and they have been doing their thing as well.

Henwood, I respect the fact that you are Chinese when giving your opinion on superstition. My best man was Chinese and we spent a lot of time together from the time we were kids. They do have superstiions in relation to food and medicine and frequently eat their medicines at the dinner table. My friend's family used to import many of these medicines for the asian community.

You should however be careful in thinking that the Asians are a superstitios lot and the rest of us are not. When I hear John Banks saying that the world was created in 6 days is 6000 years old and Noa rescued all the world's animals in a big boat I think you need to leave a bit of room for the superstitions of the so called civilized world. And that is only one of the "civilized" religions.

Fascinating stuff. Would love to see more photos - especially of the reeves natural habitat :P

I find the best way to save a species is to eat it.

You get people who are more dedicated to breeding them and raising them, Worked with Tigers...

They already farm some for food by the looks of it ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_pond_turtle

Over the 5-year period, 1990–1995, thirteen traditional Chinese medicine factories consumed 430 tons of C. reevesii plastrons.[9]

:o

Fascinating stuff. Would love to see more photos - especially of the reeves natural habitat :P quote]

Sorry, couldn't get quote savvy...

Been going through pics, and no good ones of Reeves habitat. Most of the Reeves I dealt with were hatchlings at the university where I was working. Looking back, that 2nd pic I posted may actually be another Mauremys species (Chinese striped-necked turtle). Our main study site was a freshwater lake on an island in a big river in southern China. A few ephemeral ponds were utilised by the native species more than the red-ears.

On an interesting aside, local fisherman would often catch our radio-tagged sliders and hold them for ransom. Yet another challenge to turtle research in this region...

I'll see what other pics I can dig up...