3 deaths in 2 days!

rockgurl89

Got home from work yesterday and found a poor bumblee goby dead. I fished him out and tested all my parameters (Ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrate 0 and nitrite 0) which were all fine, so I wrote him off as being the weakest link. Woke up this morning to another dead one, so fished him out,did a water change and all was fine again. Got home from town this afternoon and my Bristlenose was dead :tears: Poor Rodney didn't know it was coming. Now I am not the best at keeping them alive sometimes, but have never had 3 within 24 hours die on me before. I have 2 angels, 4 Bumblebee gobys, 2 balloon rams and 4 clown loaches left in my 160l planted tank. I have a slight green water problem (lights on for 8 hrs a day) and only add prime to my water (with some PH regular as my tap water is a bit high, around 8, and I was sick of using PH down and always having it rise up again) and some Aquarium complete every now and again. Will a UV sterilizer help with my mysterious deaths at all? I'm thinking of getting one for the green water problem anyway, but will it also help with the slight algae on my plant leaves?

I set up the tank just over a month ago, cycled it and have slowly stocked it up. added the two balloon rams last weekend and that is the only new addition I have made in two weeks. I have been doing at lest 3 water changes a week until last week as everything was on track. All the fish seemed fine (except my bristlenose who had been hiding a bit more than usual for about a week - which has happened to me before) before they died.

One possibility then is that you introduced some disease with the new fish, and the frequent water changes you were doing were containing it.

I know it's not practical for many but it's recommended to isolate new fish in their own quarantine tank for a month before adding to the main tank ...

playing with the pH can cause issues, all of those fish will do ok in pH of 8.0

also seems strange to me that you have a green water problem and a nitrate reading of 0

also, in the long run your angels, loaches and rams will either eat or bully your bumblebee gobies.

you might have had an internal parasite that got released when the first carrier died, or you might have had a mini cycle if you have tried using any algae rid products due to the increase in dead and dying algae

best course of action if increase PWC's, make sure your tests are correct and keep an eye out for any potential symptoms

the UV will clear up your green water in a day or so, but it won't treat the cause of the green water, it will more likely add to it

it works better as a preventative than a cure, even for parasites.

btw ime cats are fine and healthy till they disappear and die, fish are a lot easier to tell with

UV sterilizer will kill free floating algae, bacteria and parasites. It won't touch anything that does not pass thru the UV light.

I'd imagine a partial colectomy for a cat's megacolon would be somewhat more expensive than treating a few freshwater fish!

the shovel is cheaper is cheap enough :digH:

My UV sterilizer was built into my cannister filter .. I just turned it on for as long as it took to clear the algae, and then turned it off again. The bulbs have a finite life, and shouldn't really be necessary in a planted tank. But it should help if it's a free floating bacteria/virus/parasite. If it's a parasite attached to the fish, it won't help there.

My lights are only on 8 hrs per day and I keep the curtains closed in the morning to keep any additional sunlight away from the tank, so have no idea why the water is green and why I have algae! It doesn't bother me toooooo much (most days) but would be nice to get rid of it and make my tank look perfect to me. You are always your harshest critic. I'm using Seachem neutral regular, but had the algae before I switched off Ph down. I plan on only using the UV Sterilizer initally to correct these two problems and then only when need be if the problem arise again sort of thing.

Algal problems are most acute in new tanks, where the balance between fish, plants, filtration and fishkeeper has yet to be established.

8 hours a day is a lot of light for a tank that is fairly newly set up. How many plants are in there? Kept up water changes and I wold cut back on how much you are feeding.

With regards to your fish deaths I would suspect pH swings to be a contributing factor. It's better not to mess with pH. Most fish can adapt as long as the pH is stable.

I have approx 10 Dwarf sagittaria, 5 Twisted Valisneria, 1 H. corymbosa Stricta, a few bunches of

Hydrocotyle verticillata, 5 of amazon swords, 5 crypts and attempted a christmas moss tree which has taken off. I also only feed every 2nd day (one block of frozen blood worms is the amount I feed).

I set up the tank just over a month ago, cycled it and have slowly stocked it up. added the two balloon rams last weekend and that is the only new addition I have made in two weeks. I have been doing at lest 3 water changes a week until last week as everything was on track. All the fish seemed fine (except my bristlenose who had been hiding a bit more than usual for about a week - which has happened to me before) before they died.

I'm no expert but based on my experiences with Fish in Cycling and in my case over stocking, I wonder how much stress your fishes came under during the Cycling and on top of the PH changes whether they have slowly dropped off when you least expect it when the Water parameters are sorted.

Sorry to hear you lost fish. I had a bullied Dwarf Gourami give up the ghost last week because the new tank to move the Bully into took too long to sought out.

Then there was the Mysterious disappearance of our Betta fish ( not even a carcass to be found or a forensic trail of ammonia )

Good luck with finding the Cause.