What leo morphs are in nz?

dragonz1833

If people have other morphs it is unlikely they would admit to it on here for fear of a visit from burglers or MPI. A small gene pool would make it easier to get two recessives together but if someone started selling really exotic morphs I think they should expect a visit from MPI. Selective breeding is bringing out some nice looking yellows but I am not aware of others. One step at a time.

I think some people worry too much about breeding unrelated leos. If they all had the same father about 3 generations back they are all pretty related. When you look at native geckos they live in very small locations and are very inbred without problems that I am aware of. I guess that is why there are so many variations amongst them. I try to out breed where possible but only a certain amount is possible, particularly if you want to improve stock. Agree with Nav

I have a leo that is very yellowing with big dots.

very different looking to the wild types. it is simply a morph, a basic morph

in time im sure those ones will be further refined to produce other types of morphs.

albino, well, thats not likely

in saying that.

if one was to surface, it could be from the current pool of genetics - relatively, they dont produce that many babies for a reptile right, not like beardies, so it could take time to surface.

saw a young one in Aussie that was distinctly purple black in colour

just found this...

You get "blue" or "purple" Translucents, but as far as I'm aware no-one's yet managed to breed a beardie which holds that colour to adulthood.

My understanding of it is that a lot of the darker purple-blue colour is caused by deoxygenated blood and internal organs - in baby translucents which have very thin skin, this effect is pronounced. However as the dragon grows, its skin thickens and the white layer (which is reduced in Trans dragons) also thickens. This masks the effect, so the dragon doesn't appear purple-blue any more.

so probably not :(

Must be some merit to this

Some people play around with temps during incubation to try and manipulate colour but these temp fluctuations are done gradually.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=42693&p=462910&hilit=incubation+temp+for+leopard#p462910

The albino frog surfaced here before its motherland - that i suspect has a much larger gene pool. parasites caused the mutation here but i did'nt tell you that :wink:

Anything is possible .... until proven otherwise :sml2:

would be interesting genetically to get blue from brown/red

Reptiles, like most animals, can't produce blue pigments I thought? Most blue animals create blues more complicated ways which I'd have thought would be much harder to randomly appear in a strain.

Maybe you could try taking an albino bearded dragon and feed it large doses of colloidal silver to give it argyria? :slfg: