Silica sand

aquariumbeginner32

I bought mine from Trade Me from a seller called demitryfish in the Waikato as i couldnt find any in the local shops either.

They happily post it to you and when it arrived it didnt take much washing before putting it in the tank either so that was a bonus.

I have had a much more happier and successfull tank since putting it in.

I wished i had done it sooner

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm we've been to the HFF store in Mt Roskill once and I couldn't find any there... maybe you'd just run out at the time.... anyway, I found that industrial sands place online. I'm hoping hubby will take me there this weekend fingers crossed! Not sure if they have white and black or just black... I was hoping to get both. I have two tanks I need it for.

I had a look at the stuff on trade me but they only have black.

Swanson industrial sands

you can buy the huge bags for dirt cheap.

Very keen to redo all my tanks with silica, last bag we got was a black silica on trademe and haven't seen it since.

Have googled Swanson, there seems to be a large variety?? Silica: J61W/Mataia/44/20/TriStar/IMH/Problend/AW#1/Supa C/Supa M/Mortar Sand/Concrete Sand

Now might be a silly question :dunno: but they do Iron sand as well? Is this similar to Flourite etc, just wondering if it would be benefical to plants or not.

Thankys

The white stuff looks amazing. Someone on here gave me a half bag that I used on my 300L tank.

Mine has gone a slightly less white colour due to the plants sucking up some of the aquatic plant mix and it mixed with the white sand to create a brownish white.

Yes it does look so cool! I want to try both... thinking the white may go off colour over time... at least with the black stuff it will always be the same lol I was going to take some from Bethells Beach when we were there one day but wasn't sure if it was ok or not.......

but they do Iron sand as well? Is this similar to Flourite etc, just wondering if it would be benefical to plants or not.

I think it's probably too high in iron and would cause an algae bloom if not properly capped. I can't find ANY information regarding iron sand and planted tanks though :-?

:dunno: Me neither! Be interesting to know. Flourites ridiculously expensive

I'm currently working with some of the JBL substrates, Aquabasis and Manado which are much cheaper. I find the Manado a wee bit light but it looks good. I'd just cap Aquabasis with sand next time.

Well I had to get some from Hollywood Fish Farm. Industrial Sands not open in the weekend.... they only had white silica sand at HFF ... only had 2 x 1kg bags of black left and it wasn't enough. But I found some black decorative gravel. It's bigger than sand but not too big that if the axolotl swallows it it would get impacted. And he's really happy :thup: I also got some silk plants and a log ornament and it looks awesome.

I have two axolotl tanks.. was going to put the white silica sand in the other one but decided to put it in my fantail goldfish tank.