Project AA

SamH

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought some thread tape today, $0.95 at Bunnings but I paid with a dollar coin so got it for just $0.90, what a steal! :lol: Wrapped the thread of the CO2 adaptor that meets the thread of the regulator about a dozen times with the teflon tape and what do you know? My leak issue has been solved! I think that's all of my equipment sorted, I'll connect all the glassware after I fill it for fear of breaking the diffuser, bubble counter and/or glass check valve.

The glosso is growing super fast, I could almost sit here and watch it grow 8)

when you need to remove the airline from the diffuser, heat it for a few seconds with a lighter, no breakages!!

And when my Mum comes in and sees me crouching down next to what looks like a crack pipe with a lighter, what's she going to think? :P

Damn, I knew it was a problem in Auckland but surely your mum wouldn't jump to that conclusion, (unless you have a dodgy history we don't know about) :slfg:

She asked me what the diffuser was the first time she saw it, made a comment about it looking like drug paraphernalia :lol:

Here's a few photos of the progress.

P9250014.jpg

Glosso 5 days after being planted.

P9270003.jpg

P9270002.jpg

Glosso exactly a week (almost down to the minute) after being planted.

To my surprise, the glosso is spreading horizontally not growing vertically like I expected. If it keeps growing like this then I won't have to top it and will fill the tank in around a week. Very pleased with the growth so far!

I like the flourite - I have the same stuff in one of my blackwater tanks, I normally do not like substrate that is any colour other than dark grey.

Really? The only colours I can't stand are unnatural ones like pink, blue, green, etc. I'd love to do all my tanks in flourite but it's around $70 a bag now :nilly:

To my surprise, the glosso is spreading horizontally not growing vertically like I expected. If it keeps growing like this then I won't have to top it and will fill the tank in around a week. Very pleased with the growth so far!

Why did you think it was going to grow vertically?? I was under the impression it only grew along the bottom... But its looking good. My glosso seems to grow well under all my my lights which im pleased about... even my leds :)

All of the other dry starts I've seen had vertical growth and had to top their glosso. I guess my brand new lights running a 12/12 cycle are keeping it low. I'm keen for it to all fill in! Should look awesome when the whole foreground is covered.

Question for DIYers: My sodastream cyclinder has a rounded bottom so won't stand on it's own. How would YOU attach it to the inside of the cupboard? Remember, it needs to be removed once every 1-2 months.

Thanks!

Chop a drink bottle in half and screw it to the side of the cupboard and stick your cylinder in that, the Zero Water ones might be the right diameter? I would put some washers or some such thing under the head of the screw so that the bottle won't tear over the screw.

Id probably make a small stand for it... eg. a small wooden box (maybe without closed in sides) and a board on top where there will be a hole cut in for the tank to slide into. Or go to a car paint supply shop and pick up an airgun stand. You get them in different shapes and sizes... maybe repco or supercheap auto will even have them

4519990_lg.jpg

Mum reminded me of an old fire extinguisher we have in the garage, the holder for it is a little too big and doesn't support the bottom of the bottle well enough but gives me a good idea of what I need to make. An adjustable strap and a large, sturdy base are essential.

All of the other dry starts I've seen had vertical growth and had to top their glosso. I guess my brand new lights running a 12/12 cycle are keeping it low. I'm keen for it to all fill in! Should look awesome when the whole foreground is covered.

I've never seen an emerged set up with vertical glosso, seen it grow up under lower light under water though. Unless you count where you get so much growth it starts to grow on top of each other.