Injured Duck

emaytiti

Hi guys.

I was traveling back from tauranga today when a duck was hit by the car in front, turned back to check it was okay but couldn't walk. Decided to remove him from harms way and bring him home. Have him in a large tank with blankets and water and some bread. Still not using his legs I am pretty sure in one is broken and the other is injured. I was hoping you could suggest something or know of anything that would help.

Cheers

Is there a bird rescue place in your area? That would be ideal as they are well equipped for care and rehabilitation of exotic species (assuming your duck is not a native). http://www.nzbirds.com/more/centres.html

The duck will need some medical care as soon as possible. Overnight, you can keep it in a warm dark place and encourage it to be still.

I had an injured duck come and visit me regularly along with 30 of his mates, I managed to catch him and pop him into a cat cage and take hime to the vet.

Apparently he had sprained his leg, gave him a shot of anti inflamatory and pain killers and I bought him back home.

The SPCA will pick up the bill, ring them and they will give you a case number to use at the vets, the Vet will then charge back to the SPCA.

Good Luck

Lynda