Joe's Breeding Setup Adventure (selling everything now)

Joe

Sorry to read that - sucks bigtime :cry:

Probably the last thing you wanna hear now - but that is the exact reason you have to have a quarantine tank! Every fish I get from the outside has to go through a 4 week quarantine.

After one week of acclimatization (food, water, routine) I start a prophylactic treatment with NaCL (non-plus-ultra for livebearer) for a week. In the second week I put a couple of rubbish fish from my stock in the quarantine tank together with the new ones + use water from my tanks to do waterchanges in the quarantine tank. This will show two things:

1.) Is my stock okay with the bugs the new ones will bring in (and they always do bring some !)?

2.) the other way round gives the new ones a chance to get used to my bugs.

If everything looks fine after two more weeks they are good to go. In 20 year of keeping livebearers I never had any problems...

Hope that helps,

JaSa

Thank you, that was very helpful :hail:

When I eventually get proper stands and all my equipment is tidy and organised and I have more space then I will definitely look at getting a quarantine tank or two made.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to buy some more Axelrod's Rasboras because I think that they are cute and I like there small size. I also won't need to cover the tank to breed them like I would have with the Neons. I will use one of the breeding tanks as a quarantine tank. I sent an email to John at Organism, and hopefully the wholesaler still has some and John will be able to get some in for me :thup: I'll probably get around 15-25 or so.

Licorice Gouramis and Apistos are still looking okay. I am a bit worried about the Apistos though as they seem quite stressed, but they should be alright hopefully. Still have all the Reed Tetras too. I am continuing to dose Wunder White Spot Cure on the tank, as I cannot raise the temperature to speed up the life cycle of the white spot because it might harm the Licorice Gouramis.

I guess there is still hope for this project...

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that the whitespot has now gone from the tank. The surviving fish are the trio of Apistogramma trifasciata, two males and one female Licorice Gourami and 10 Reed Tetras.

Also the tank is a mess at the moment - there is so much algae that it just isn't funny :o I will have to get round to cleaning it out, although I'm a but worried because it is one of those jobs where I will need to remove everything including the fish and I don't want to stress them out too much in case the whitespot returns.

I have had a long think about whether or not I should get the Axelrods, or any other expensive fish for that matter. And I have come to the decision that I will just work with what I have got, and also get the Odessas from Caryl. I feel that I just keep buying more and more fish and they all die one way or another, and it has really put me off buying anything else. So hopefully I'll be able to make a bit of money with the fish that I have left, if they decide to breed from me. I'd at least like to recover the cost of the fish I lost and maybe make a bit extra, and then I will probably sell all my livestock and have a break.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to cleaning the tanks. I cleaned the 140L last weekend, and today I cleaned out the 85L tank that has the lone male Apistogramma cacatuoides in it. I also cleaned the blackworm tank too.

Interestingly, it appears that I actually have two pairs of Licorice Gouramis, not two males and a female. One of the females that was covered in whitespot and wasn't moving must have survived and hidden away for a while.

Sadly the other day I lost a female trifasciata for unknown reasons. At least I still have a healthy pair remaining :)

Once I've sold the Apistogramma cacatuoides I will them move all of the other fish, except for the trifasciata, into that tank. The reason I'm not putting them in the other 85L tank is because I haven't used it in ages and I really can't be bothered cycling the filter. So anyway, then the trifasciata will have a chance to breed in the 140L tank so hopefully I will be able to rear some fry :D I have removed all of the gravel and I put some black shade cloth underneath the 140L tank. It now just has the piece of bogwood in it and some oak leaves and some Indian Fern floating on the water.