dying fish

Brendan

my bro has a pair or xxl kissing gourami and one of them is on its last legs, we have had these fish since i was living at home so im pretty sure its just old age. is there a humane way to kill a fish? my brother is only 10 so he doesnt want to watch it die over a week. help??? the other kissing has just left it alone, which i think is really unusual coz they have been togetther since day 1.

My thoughts on the freezer thing

If I was going to do that for a fish, I think I would prepare a bucket of ice water (0 degree water with some icecubes etc).. then dunk the fish in it.. it's going to be a heap more effective than putting it in the freezer imo anyhows.

(I haven't done this, but thinking about it I think it would be faster for the fish)

I don't think dunking them straight into icewater would be more effective, probably about the same. But it would be more of a shock to them, they DO seem to notice the cold water. If it's a big fish I usually put them in a container of cool tapwater and then into the freezer. A small one I usually use a cup of tankwater. I kinda think the least I could do for them is to not shock them putting them into freezing water.