My favourite type of BBA!!

Angus

Nice dead carpet KP!

I dose 2x the recommended dosage Godly. In my 75G, i use an initial dose of 70ml, then a 12ml dose on the 2nd and 3rd days, although the awesome red colour starts to show after the 1st day on most occasions, and the 12ml dose isn't often required.

Let's see everyone's Red is Dead photos! :thup:

Hi Guys, I am suffering a massive bout of BBA at the moment despite pumping pressurised CO2 into my system. Perhaps my CO2 reactor isnt working efficiently enough.... I have been dosing EI but I think that the fairly cheap discus pieces food (manufacturer unamed) must be very high in PO4 as each time I test it is off the scale of my test kit even though I stopped dosing the PO4 component of my EI ferts!!!!!!! The BBA seems to love these conditions and have colonised any exposed driftwood or gravel it can find... can you tell us how you dosed the excel e.g. straight into the water column, or syringed on to the BBA, dose rates, is it a one off dose or do you have to keep it going.... I am also getting orange snot algea and stringy green algae.

can you tell us how you dosed the excel e.g. straight into the water column, or syringed on to the BBA, dose rates, is it a one off dose or do you have to keep it going.....

Hey Peet there are heaps of recent posts on how people use Flourish Excel to combat our friend BBA. But to summarise what I do: I follow the on bottle instructions only double the dose, and squirt straight into the water column. BBA is dead within 2-3 days for me :D

It's a mighty foe though, as it always comes back after a while in my tank. Haven't mastered the complete eradication, but i've added a powerhead to increase the flow following advice on here.

I think that you may be right on the PO4 buzz, thats the only time I had really bad algae outbreaks.

Problem is that algae cells scavenge PO4 from dead/dying algae, so you cannot remove it all without removing the algae itself.

It goes against every bone in my body, and advice that I usually give about potions... but I have used Algae-fix from API with success in the past...

An algae scrubber (waterfall a bit more than a trickle of water over some under-gravel plates, with a nice 10 000K light on it) would help, once the algae grows on the plate to a decent amount, remove, scrape, replace the plate, repeat as/when neccessary...

Joe, here's a photo from a couple of months ago, getting close to how I want it to look in terms of design and planting. Just short of how I want it in terms of growth... (long story for some other time)

IMG_1034a.jpg

The CO2 bottle ran out a month ago, and I couldn't afford to re-fill it straight away, so growth stopped. I've had to chop it all back hard right to substrate level and start again, hence no recent photo.. :roll:

I picked some up off trademe myself about 2 weeks ago , just waiting for it to grow out.

How does it grow for you ? Are you trimming it as often as say cabomba or equivalent fast growing plants ?

Oh, and your tank looks fantastic. A really well thought out layout. :thup:

Thanks guys! :D

Specs:

Lighting: 4 x 36W CFL under MIRO reflectors (awesome reflectors!) for 7 hours/day

Substrate: Normal gravel (no special substrate, just the odd JBL ball under the crypts from time to time)

Pressurized CO2 fed into a homemade reactor

EI dosing using liquid macros and flourish

By Saturday (water change day) the stem plants (including the rotala wallichii) will have reached the water surface, and I trim them back to just below the foreground height. Most will take a couple of weeks to get to the water surface again, so the stems are offset so that there is always a full 'hedge' of stems. Come Saturday - trimming, trimming trimming... :roll:

Growth isn't as good as i'd like, I think the available PAR near the substrate isn't as good as it should be. When the bank balance looks better, i'd like to invest in an LED setup, strung up above the tank !drool:

But the tank is balanced and happy, so i'm content.... for the time being... :wink:

At the moment i've got four Duralux L 36W bulbs, but have used Phillips PL-L 36W bulbs in the past as well.

They're the ones with the straight 4 pin base.

Originally had four 55W bulbs but I could never get the tank balanced, so i throttled back to the 36W bulbs and never looked back.

Based on my experience, i believe that if people are struggling with algae attacks constantly, cut back on the light to a minimum and then work upwards, keeping CO2 and ferts constant. Worked for me mostly (I still get BBA as this post shows, but I tolerate it).