which fish do you keep?

AdamBro

At the moment im keeping/breeding jaguar cichlids and I think they are awesome, but ive seen so many other cool fish id like to keep, I dont really want anything to common, malawi could be cool I reckon, basically im just asking what other people are keeping and what makes them a little bit better then any other fish in your own opinion :spop:

I breed/keep fighters because playing with their genetics is fun since each time you breed a fighter the result is either an improvement or decline on the quality of the parents and its fun setting goals and selectively breeding them to reach them :smln: Plus they are happy little fish who arent shy of people and like swimming into my hands :thup:

I breed/keep fighters because playing with their genetics is fun since each time you breed a fighter the result is either an improvement or decline on the quality of the parents and its fun setting goals and selectively breeding them to reach them :smln: Plus they are happy little fish who arent shy of people and like swimming into my hands :thup:

oh yea, i like your point! i breed jags because i used to have a community tank with all sorts of different fish in it, it got boring so my goal was to breed, when the first spawning had come i was pretty stoked with myself (even though i really didnt do any of the work just raise temp, feed more) :thup:

originally before i started breeding my jags my goal actually was to breed siamese fighters but at that time i couldnt get my hand on any females i only had my flourescent red male so i gave up

I've got a blue gourami, platinum gourami, swordtails, guppies (oh :facepalm: LOTS of guppies), LOTS of Ancistrus (brown BN and white BN), Kribensis (dark, not albino), and my fav, the Sailfin Pleco.

Don't expect too many responses, many people who have brilliant fish can be worried of theft.

My fish aren't expensive enough for me to be worried yet.

:sml1: I have never heard of fish being stolen :sml1: is there people that have been burgled for fish imagine the court pages lmao
For many people not only have they had something of monetary value stolen, but also the time and effort they put into sourcing, keeping, raising and breeding the fish which are more often than not, very rare. Fish thieves, like all other thieves, are rats.

well lets see, what i have breed, gouramis,fighters, bristlenose ( albino,GBA, browm, long finned) gouppies ( fancys guppies, have a pure strain of albino snakskins and, nearly full reds) ,lyretail swords,platies, over 10 different types of cories, discus (have a pair breeding next to me as im typing :slfg: ) electric blue rams, angels, kribs,whiptails, apisto aggazzis, red spotted severums hmmmmm what else :slfg: , i always need to challenge my self hence the fancer fish, and creating pure strains of fish like guppies and swords

Neat topic! I have got really fond of all my fish. I love the way each betta boy swims straight up to me when I go near their tanks, their nosy personalities (forever having to shoo away a betta when my hand is in a tank) and their beautiful appearance. The betta girls are so graceful when they curve their bodies, so pretty and are also cheeky and nosy. The corydoras (pandas, peppered and pygmy) could win the synchronised swimming event in the Olympics and do fabulous line ups, staring solemnly at something I certainly can't see. Dwarf rasboras are so playful and full-speed surf the filter flow. The calico bristlenose female is like a bustling, busy houseproud cleaner and Uncle (the gold bristlenose) just looks so comical huffing around the tank or clinging to his courgette.

it just means that the fish that are breeding have been carefully selected to make sure the fry arent inbred or born with deformaties(that how u spell it lol?)

there is alot of different types of the same breed of fish like gourami, dwalf gourami, red tiger oscar ,red oscar gold oscar, albino oscar, u know what I mean

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but how do you define a "pure strain"?

Say guppies for instance, you can selectively breed to achieve, as I described, offspring that look like the parents and grandparents etc with same colours, body markings, shape etc. which is what I would describe as breeding pure (no random throwbacks etc) which is when the strain is "fixed"