raise ph for Africans

somethin fishy

I was thinking of using some limestone chips in one of the canisters of my external filter to hopefully keep my PH high.

Any thoughts on is or this a silly idea?

I don't have any experience with africans but I don't see why not, in theory it sounds good but you might need quite a decent amount of lime to raise the ph high?

You can do but as mentined change it slowly as a sudden drastic ph change will freak out your fish. If your tank has been 7.4 for a while i would be inclined to leave it as it is, biggest thing with africans and ph is to keep the ph stable.

My Africans lived in, and bred, at 7.0. The breeder I got them from initially also kept all his Africans in 7.0 as that was what came out of his taps and he said he did not want to muck about altering the pH as he was breeding on a large scale and doing many water changes.

I keep mine at about 8 and have have quite a lot of limestone in my tank. I still use baking soda, epsom salts to keep my KH, GH around 10. Dont expect the limestone to do alot. It basically just leaching calcium as it slowly breaks down. I like the higher Ph as its a little more natural but like the others have said they are happy at any level of Alkali water as long as its stable.

if you do start changing things you run the risk of it going pair shaped if you don't or can't keep it going perfectly. If you leave it as it is it will be constant and won't change dramatically. If you ad buffers like limestone, crushed marble or shells etc it will be fine as they don't change things much and what they do is gradual so the opposite is also gradual. Adding baking soda can have good gains and easily have good losses so I choose to leave it stable as it's far easier (involves no work at all) and safer.