I got a hoover for my tank!

purplex

I picked up this beauty from someone online the other day, I'm pretty sure she's female.

I've called her Hoover, I know thats probably not original for a catfish, but she suits it. She is missing one of her fins, but she was like that when the previous owner got her, and she's never had any problems.

She's also full of personality - I was watching her last night, and she swam up the side of the tank, and there is a 1.5cm gap in the lid, and she sat there shooting jets of water through the small gap!

Just one question though - how much is too much to feed her? She never seems to stop eating?!?

img201207122142422.jpg

awww... shes as cute as you said she is :P

Nice hoplo, they are my favorite fish, and I have 3 of them in my tank, not sure about there sex's.

Personally they seem to do better in groups, so you might want to get your 'Hover' some play mates some time in the future.

easy to sex, males have a thicker and longer front ray to their pectoral fins, it goes orange when they are in the mood, and when larger they curl upwards when horney as well

male

hoplomale.th.jpg

female

hoplofemale.th.jpg

I'd never even heard of or seen a Hoplo before finding her, and I did some research, and they said that they are fine alone, but once my 200L is up and running I'll move her over and find her some friends (hopefully!)

There is a nice big gap at the top of my tank as she's in with my betta, so they can breathe :) What I was meaning was there is a gap in the lid of the tank, and she was shooting water right out of the tank... has anyone else this? I asked the previous owner, and she said she'd never seen her do anything of the sort!

• 3 weeks later...

...and after doing some more research... she is actually a he LOL :oops:

Noticed that he's been getting bigger, and his pectoral fin has gone a beautiful shade of orange...

I saw some little ones the other day at KiwiPetz... but they wanted $23 each for them!?! Is this normal pricing for them?? I want a few more for my larger tank, but I only paid $10 for Hoover!

Or does anyone breed them? :wink:

Mine used to feed at the bottom but now come and eat at the surface with the other fish before heading back down to snuffle up the plec pellets.

Did you realise they are bubble nesters? A very interesting fish to breed.

Mine used to feed at the bottom but now come and eat at the surface with the other fish before heading back down to snuffle up the plec pellets.

Did you realise they are bubble nesters? A very interesting fish to breed.

I saw that when I was researching on whether he'd play nice with my fighter... I'd love to breed them, I just need to get a breeding tank, look into what to feed the fry, oh, and get a female LOL.

That'd be a bit further down the track me thinks...

Another question though, do these guys play nice with other catfish? Or is it better not to mix catfish breeds? Hubby saw a featherfin the other day he liked the look of, but I don't want to think of mixing if they don't!

feather fin would tend to swallow all your fish, one by one while they slept

Ah. So... can I keep a featherfin with something bigger than it then? Or is that just giving it a few days worth of food?

Damn it. I feel my MTS starting up again... I don't think my hubby would agree with me :an!gry

bad zev, you know encouraging MTS in multiple members of the same household is asking for trouble :P

feather fins best kept in groups when younger but become territorial with age, and they can get to 30cm long, so assume a tank of 500 - 600L for 3 of them and best kept with fish larger than their mouths which means BIG things like silver dollars, knife fish, cichlids, big tetras and barbs etc....

Back to your original question :gigl: hoplos get on with other bottom dwellers. Mine are in with corys and Ancistrus.

There was a lady breeding them in Dunedin many years ago and she said a drop in water level, and water temp, would trigger them spawning.

Thanks Caryl! I'll keep that in mind when I finally get there.

I think the hubby thought that me keeping fish was going to be one tank, a few fish, end of story... I think he's regretting the fish tank now, and wishing he had gone for the birds instead!

I think the hubby thought that me keeping fish was going to be one tank, a few fish, end of story... I think he's regretting the fish tank now, and wishing he had gone for the birds instead!

My wife was assured it was only going to be one tank... a few fish... ...

Birds would have been noisier and messier.

I made the suggestion to hubby that he could have his own tank, with whatever fish he wanted in it.

He said he would, but my fish would end up in his tank... and become food for his ones. :o

Me thinks I'll stick to keeping the tanks for me, but I'll have a tank with some fish that he likes in one... LOL