Bristlenose and sand?

rockgurl89

I have just today got my new 160l tank, and am now thinking about substrates. I currently have 2 bristle noses and was thinking that if I used sand then they would ingest it (obviously NOT desirable), so would a finer gravel around 2-5mm be more suitable for them?

Plecs generally originate from dirty, scungy rivers/streams with silt, sand, mud etc...

I wouldn't panic about it, but:

If you want 2-5mm sand, go daltons propegating mix, awesome stuff, wouldn't use anything else myself... and have kept many plecs with it successfully...

it was the aqua one silica, its extremely sharp (had a customer return it as it was cutting her fingers) plus my plants would not grow in it (except for one very good crypt) replaced it with 4-6mm river gravel and no more dead plecos (do miss my 15cm albino tho) and exceptional plant growth (ambulia up to 2cm per day and Twisted val about the same)

also there is reports of a red slime 'Algae' frequently overtaking tanks with it (not every one but quite a few) and have been told by a local pet store that uses it that you can get an antibacterial from the vet to combat it.