Buying plants from eBay!

danilada

In February Mr Tan pleaded guilty to 36 charges relating to importation of unauthorised aquatic plants and new and second-hand aquarium equipment from Singapore into New Zealand between August 2004 and October 2005. He traded the items through the TradeMe website, deliberately selecting plants from Singapore that he knew were unavailable in New Zealand.

Does this mean we are not allowed to import stuff from overseas??? Or is it because he brought second-hand items?

I have noticed in particular they have java fern really cheap and they ship to NZ.

Why would you go through all the hassle of importing a plant we have readily available here in NZ? Most of the images they use are stock photos so the plants are likely the same quality you could get here. Can you get it shipped here for less than $4 (the cheapest Java Fern on Trademe at the moment)?

and new and second-hand aquarium equipment

Does this mean we are not allowed to import stuff from overseas??? Or is it because he brought second-hand items?

I think Godly was asking about the aquarium equipment from Singapore... :dunno: Can that be imported or will being second hand cause issues at customs?

I think Godly was asking about the aquarium equipment from Singapore... :dunno: Can that be imported or will being second hand cause issues at customs?

Thank you, thats exactly what I was asking.

He can bring in the aquarium equipment whether it is used or new. It is live stuff that is a no-no (or meds)

But it said in the article he was charged with multiple charges including importing live plants and "new and second-hand aquarium equipment", so I was wondering what sort of equipment he was importing that got him charged.

yeah but, I doubt they would stop say second hand heater coming into the country... thats like say you can't bring your shoes back into the country because you have been on holiday to thailand...

They wash your shoes for you and treat them with Trigene or something similar

I think the difference would be volume of second hand gear coming in, and whether it was used to conceal whatever else he was bringing in.

Like alan said, Disease would be the biggest issue, and being that it may have been un-declared, would not have gone through the normal MAF checks.

Give you an example, we brought a blown (no inners) , painted ostrich egg, with us from S.A... (cost ~R80, approx NZ$40-50) We were told that it had to be "treated" as it was a natural product capable of harbouring disease (regardless of the fact that it has been dry/dead for years)... $150 later, and you have the most expensive ostrich egg in the country... which my brother managed to smash within year... :facepalm:

You can imagine the fuss they would make over a canister filter+media...especially if they were still damp/wet...